Attn: Dog Lovers in the aviation biz...

Can anyone, - possibly someone you know, who might know someone?... - help this person and the dogs?... Damn, I sure can understand the predicament...

Surely someone could find a way to make it happen????

[taken from This Post on AvCanada]

Hello everyone,

Last year I immigrated to BC with my partner (we are originally from Moscow, Russia). For the last six months I've been looking high and low for a safe way to bring my two dogs to Vancouver, but to no avail whatsoever. I thought maybe you guys could think of something.

The problem is, my dogs cannot be flown under cabin, and they are too big to be in the cabin (28 and 35 kilos). The reason why I can't fly them under cabin is that my older doggy is 13, and the vets we've consulted with all say it's a huge risk for him to be alone in a relatively noisy environment he's not familiar with, since chances of him developing a heart condition are pretty high (he suffers from separation anxiety on top of his old age). so risking his life by flying him under cabin is out of question for us. there's no way we're leaving him behind either, so we are more than determined to find a way of being with him for the time of the flight, other than with a regular passenger airline.

So far I've figured my options are as follows:

1) flying the dogs on a regular cargo flight with myself as an accompanying person. I've found a freighter based in Russia that accepts live cargo, but they've only recently begun scheduled flights to the States from Europe, and they cannot (or won't) have me fly on the same deck as the dogs for security reasons. i respect rules, especially in aviation, it's just unfair that if i had to fly to amsterdam from russia i'd be allowed to be with them during the flight, but not on a transatlantic flight. just my luck. so i'm looking for another freight forwarder whose regulations might allow being with my dogs during the journey.

2) empty legs (cargo or passenger alike). I've discovered a number of companies selling seats on empty leg flights, but the problem is, they don't sell seats separately — i will have to find 10+ more passengers (with dogs, most likely) willing to pay more to cross the atlantic.

3) finding a friends' friend (or a complete stranger with an irrational passion for dog travellers) who owns a private jet and would be willing to let us use it if we cover fuel/airport/pilot wage (any other costs i'm not aware of?)

4) finding a group of people chartering a flight from Europe to North America who wouldn't mind an extra (paid) traveller with two dog crates on board. the last two are not particularly realistic, i know.

I certainly wish i could afford to charter a jet, but that's definitely out of question for me. My budget for the transatlantic crossing is CAD8,000 at best. I am perfectly fine with driving my dogs to any airport in Europe, and then driving them to Vancouver from the airport of arrival in North America, just need to think of something for the ocean crossing (no we can't go by ship — i've done my research, and apparently dogs are either not allowed, or are only allowed in special kennels and not in cabins).

I would be really grateful if you guys could give me any tips on where to look for empty legs/ freight forwarders working with live animals etc OR if there are other ways i'm not aware of, can you kindly let me know. in other words, any input is appreciated!

(actually, not "any". from my experience with Russian forums, people often start persuading me to either fly my dogs under the cabin despite the risk, or leave them in Russia, or euthanize them, or stay in Russia until the dogs pass away etc. You probably understand how frustrated I am to hear all these things for the thousandth time. Could you please, if you can't think of anything that would help me fly together with my dogs, refrain from criticizing my decision and offering alternative solutions. That would really help).

Why not sedate the dogs and ship them in a large kennel under cabin? Put in a favorite blanket, perhaps the owners undershirt (for the separation anxiety) and some dry food and water.

At least it's heated so a ten hour sleep ought to have few ill effects.

Not sure of the size of the dog in terms of height but here is an option:

Drive from Moscow to Southampton

Southamton to New York via Queen Mary, inside cabin is 699 USD, see conditions below.

Drive from New York to Vancouver.

I think they could probably do this for under their $8000 budget.

If travelling from Southampton to New York: all pets must have been issued with a current Health Certificate (the health certificate should show that the dog or cat was examined by a veterinarian within 30 days of entry of the dog or cat into the State of New York) and had a rabies vaccination within 12 months to 14 days prior to Entry into the State of New York.

If you plan on re-entering the UK with your pet, you must adhere to the Pet Travel Scheme and a six month probation period is required.

When arriving at check in, guests must make themselves known at the enquiries desk and the Kennel Master will be called to collect the pet.

Due to their size, we cannot accommodate the following breeds: Afghan, Curly Coated Retriever, Bloodhound, Gordon Setter, Borzoi (Russian Wolfhound), Great Dane, Briard, Greyhound, Irish Wolfhound, Irish Setter, Mastiff, Deerhound, New Foundland, Doberman, Pyrenees, St. Bernard, Saluki, Weimaraner, Bull Mastiff and Malamute.

If the dog is "small for their breed", Cunard kennels need to have exact measurements to ensure the dog will fit. The dog from the head to the floor and hind quarters must be less than 36" high and less than 60" long.

Dogs Prohibited by the UK Pet Travel Scheme:

Pit Bull Terrier

Japanese Tosa

Dogo Argentino

Fila Braziliero

or any mix of breed which includes these breeds.

These dogs are considered fighting dogs and illegal in the UK.

When making your booking, the following details will be required:

Pet Height (from floor to shoulder)

Pet Width (from tip of nose to base of tail)

Pet weight in pounds

Pet Age at time of sailing

Please click here for pictures of additional pet facilities.

Pets will also receive the following benefits:

A Frisbee

Name Tag

Food Dish & Scoop

Fleece Blankets

Selection of Premium Food

Healthy Gourmet Cookies (freshly baked every day and offered at bed times

Archived