To a Pilots Son........

Trader

p.s. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I have to retract how I feel. wink.gif

Absolutely right.

...but here's the thing that gets me... In calling BS, you're saying you don't believe the writer, or by extension, anyone who can empathize with those feelings. I don't think you're in any position to do so if you've never had kids. You cannot possibly know how, or how much they change your life. So that's why I think you ought not to say BS. You can't know.

It is entirely possible that a family will come long after a chosen career is underway, and the option to leave that career is now gone because you know you have dependents now... life changed! Big time! ... Your whole world is now your family, but you can't provide for them without your job... You're locked in.

Whoever criticized his cadence has totally missed it as well... it's about the emotion. It's about his love for his son and spilling out, in as pretty a way as he could muster, his sorrow at not being able to see more of him. You don't get that?,.. you can't remember the days away when they/he/she were/was just little... and so innocent... and so much a part of you that it hurt when you were away?

Brett, being someone's son is not at all comparable to having a son.

...and you ought to know by now that once one is stricken by the love of airplanes, and a woman, he's not going to have an easy go of another claim to his heart. wink.gif

Cheers,

Mitch

Guest rattler

Let's not confuse the issue with the term "sons" and instead talk about "Children". Most children do very well as long as there is one stable influence in their life and I don't mean an influence that is off working. To provide adequate support for a child while they are growing up requires the almost full time presence of a parent (either sex will do). Todays society in pursuit of "goodies" has abandoned the traditional family. There is no doubt some parents both have to work to provide the bare necessities but then there are others who have children but also require the great vacations, two cars, home video systems . grand homes complete with a spare room for guests etc etc etc leaving no one to raise the children, unless you count day care etc. as being equivalent. Because of these "needs" they both have to work.

My sons, now in their 30s, tell me that the time they needed a stable influence at home (someone to talk to) was mostly in their high school years and they are very gratefull that need was filled. With us it was a matter of priorities, our children came first, toys, vacations came in a distant second. Too bad priorities seem to have changed for more than a minority of todays parents.

I was a pilot's son and even though duty times were longer for pilots when I was growing up and dad might be away for over a week at a time, when he was home it was quality time.  In fact he spent more time with me and my brothers at our various events (sporting etc.) than the other fathers who were 9-5ers.  My friends were envious as Dad had time during the week (when he was home) for us, their fathers only had weekends.

Guess a lot depends upon the man, a strong family commitment will overcome anything.

I support your comments and share your experience 100%

I also pursued a career in aviation and knew long before I started that to have a family was in my cards. I took a little different career path than my father and he floored me one day when he said I was a better father than him. I was honoured and proud considering the source.

"FATHERS! Noone EVER says NOTHIN' bout the FATHERS!!!" - Chris Rock.

Archived