Emotions run High

Kip Powick

The following is a copy of emails circulating at this date. The names have been deleted. I was not aware of the controversy until this arrived, however I can see how the individuals concerned have become upset. The one individual, AAAA, was a very big donator. These emails transpired in the past week.No simpatico here...just interest. wink.gif

YYY Initiated an email concerning the name change

XXX Replied

AAA Let both barrels fly at XXX

BBB Attempted to appease

AAA replies to BBBB

Re: RCAF Memorial Museum.

To expunge RCAF from the name of the museum dishonors the many thousands of men and women who served in the Royal Canadian Air Force during wartime, the cold war, and peacetime.

Such a move would be a continuation of the erosion of the history and traditions of the RCAF which began with Paul Hellyer's ill-conceived unification of the three branches of the of the armed forces.

Following on with your line of thinking, I suppose the next proposal would be to obliterate Airforce and name the museum the Canadian Forces Museum and stick a few tanks, artillery pieces and a naval gun turret in the "Air" Park!

For goodness sakes, have some regard for the glorious tradition of the RCAF and retain that acronym.

Sincerely,

YYYYYYY

RCAF Navigator

--------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir,

May I politely inform you that the change of name has already occurred at the Museum in Trenton. It was on the building when I was last there in May.

Also, it's worth remembering that the Canadian Air Force has now existed for longer than the RCAF ever did. To fail to recognize this means that the

20,000 Canadian airmen of the First World War and all those airmen since unification aren't worthy of remembering.

I know that as a Second World War veteran, you might feel a bit saddened that the RCAF name disappears but don't forget that there were people before you and after you. These men and women also have to be remembered and included in a name. Thus, the new name endorses everyone and is very appropriate to honour all who served as airmen/airwomen for Canada since 1909.

Regards,

XXXXX XXXXXXX Canada Graduate Scholar Ph.D. Candidate and Continuing Education Instructor Department of History, University of Calgary Research Assistant for the President of Athabasca University Military Historian for CBC French Radio and Television (Alberta) Military Columnist for the Winnipeg Free Press independent newspaper (Manitoba)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dear XXXX XXXXXX et all:

May I politely inform you that a travesty has taken place if the name has already been removed from the building. Your defence of our protest is pure hogwash.

In my email, as a compromise, I recommended that the names of ALL the iterations of Canada's air element be included in the title to effectively honour all who served, if that is what the museum's purpose has now been changed to include. No objection to a change in purpose if you are displaying artifacts from those eras.

When the RCAF Memorial Museum was originated in about 1969/70; it was to be an RCAF Memorial Museum, PERIOD; FULL STOP!. Your statement; "Also, it's worth remembering that the Canadian Air Force has now existed for longer than the RCAF ever did. To fail to recognize this means that the 20,000 Canadian airmen of the First World War and all those airmen since unification aren't worthy of remembering" is AWAY OFF BASE! Your statement is extremely disingenuous. I expect you will understand the meaning of "disingenuous" with all of your bonafides.

If the name change is to now include two eras that were not a part of the rationale for the museum at its inception; then so be it. BUT DO NOT REMOVE THE ORIGINAL NAME; ADD TO IT IF YOU MUST!

Your jumping to conclusions regarding your statement; "I know that as a Second World War veteran, you might feel a bit saddened that the RCAF name disappears but don't forget that there were people before you and after you. These men and women also have to be remembered and included in a name. Thus, the new name endorses everyone and is very appropriate to honour all who served as airmen/airwomen for Canada since 1909"; is as accurate as the rest of your argument.

I am not a second world war veteran; I am not in the least saddened; I AM VERY ANGRY THAT YOU AND YOUR BUNCH OF MISGUIDED BOARD MEMBERS HAVE HIGHJACKED THE ORIGINAL PURPOSE OF THAT MUSEUM WITHOUT SHOWING RESPECT FOR THOSE THAT ORIGINATED IT. The original purpose had nothing to do with the periods1909 - 1924; or from 1968 - present. IT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO INCLUDE THOSE ERAS AT ITS INCEPTION!

To correct your improper assumption; I enrolled in the RCAF 24 March

1949; served 29 years one month. I served through the Hellyer destruction of Canada's military. Now you are doing an equally disgraceful thing to our RCAF Memorial Museum.

Give your head a shake. Show some respect for those that originated that museum. I do not give a damn about your so called qualifications / degrees in academia or whatever. It does not qualify you to entertain such a distortion of history regarding something that you were never part of. Back OFF; DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Contact Ron Found L/Col ret'd; (if he is still with us). He was very instrumental with the museum's origination!

Regards

AAAAAAAAAA

---------------------------------------------------------

Dear AAAA

I have attached the recent presentation I made at the AGM of the Museum. This presentation was an attempt to correct a great deal of misinformation which was being circulated regarding that name change. I think when you take the time to read this attachment you will see that many of the ideas you may have had will change or at least I hope so. I attempted to ensure that all the info contained was based on actual files and historical records, and was not based on rumour or speculation as was the other data you have been sent. I'm hoping that you will reconsider your support in light of the facts.

Regards. BBBBBBB, Chair

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear BBBBBB

I thank you for your attached statement of the evolution of YOUR Museum. The chronology of events was most interesting/educational.

Obviously my understanding of events surrounding the origination was in error. There was little to no information given to those that contributed to the earlier fund; or anything relating to disposal of those funds. I certainly think that where the funds went was wrong; but that is water long under the bridge. I apologize for some of my earlier email wording. I certainly felt betrayed by these events based somewhat on the sketchy & incorrect historical info available to me.

However, when I was informed of the actual existence of the "RCAF Memorial Museum" at Trenton in the 1980's, I was delighted. I visited it as such, on several occasions; purchased a "Stone" and dropped off some artifacts that I had from my career. I fully supported what I saw there, felt that I belonged and was part of it. I was totally unaware of the circumstances as you have detailed them; there was nothing there that I saw that told the actual story as you have laid it out.

I know that the name RCAF is obsolete. I presume that is why it was named "The RCAF Memorial Museum" at its inception. Mr Hellyer & our Liberals did that in the sixties. I remember it well. I had no respect for that government's "integration" orders, still don't. It was bone headedly stupid and has been proven by events to be so.

I can support a name change to be more inclusive ONLY on the condition that The name "RCAF Memorial Museum" is retained in some OFFICIAL recognizable form. Nothing you or your board can do will convince me otherwise. I still feel very much betrayed by your current Board decision.

If that "compromise" cannot be accepted by your Board, then good luck to you and your museum, whatever you want to call it. It will lose all meaning for me. Whether intended or not, the name change shows a degree disrespect for those that served in the RCAF. If the museum had never been named "RCAF Memorial Museum" in the first place; then you would have less of a problem........History gets in the way..

In your article you have mentioned "CAS" involvement in 1999 and Wing Commander (Trenton) in 2007. It is understandable that these very busy Senior Officers would have little to no attachment to the earlier RCAF history, too young. Makes wrong decision making easy. I appreciate that you have funding issues. All museums do. Your name change decision won't help if you piss off a large pool of potential contributors.

At this moment I am deeply offended, saddened and disappointed by your "Board's" action. I cannot and will not consider any further support to your enterprise. If other ex RCAF members feel as I do; I sincerely think your Board should reconsider this decision. It may wash with your current serving members, but I am convinced it is a bad decision over-all. A bit of polling research is required.

Sorry for raining on you parade, but this old timer has too many memories to be able to accept what you have done in this name change matter to date. Too Hellyerish.

Please pass this note to your Board members.

Good luck,

AAAAAAAAA

Interesting... Here is a clip of information from the former RCAF Memorial Museum brochure:

The Past

The Royal Canadian Air Force was created on April 1, 1924. It drew together many of those who had served in the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service during World War I, and in the Canadian Air Force of 1920 to 1924. In 1968, with the unification of the Canadian Forces, the RCAF lost its formal title; however, its proud traditions live on in Canada's current Air Force.

The accomplishments of the men and women who served in Canadian Military aviation, to preserve and protect our country and the freedoms it represents, are highly significant. Many gave their lives in the performance of their duties: we must ensure that their sacrifices are never forgotten.

In 1984, a first step in that direction was taken when a small museum was opened at CFB Trenton. In recognition of its important status, it was granted exclusive use of the title "RCAF Memorial Museum". Outstanding success was achieved in gathering and preserving a varied and fascinating collection of artifacts and memorabilia. By 1992, the need for a new and larger facility had become very evident and plans for an expansion program were initiated. A fund-raising program was launched in July 1993 and a total of $335,000 was contributed by donors from across Canada.

War Monuments in Canada

I guess that they have officially relinquished the use of the title...

Archived