Harper dines (with the troops?)

From the Toronto Star..

Harper began the day having breakfast with a small number of soldiers in a section of the mess tent screened off from the rest of diners.

I guess he was just try'n to be one of the boys ..... yeh -right dry.gif

If you have been made to suffer his appearance on TV while on his visit you might have noticed how "stiff and awkward" he appears.

No, I am not thrilled by the man, the party or their policies, and feel he is not head and shoulders above any other Canadian politician.

At least he's making the effort. During his reign of crime, I mean time in office, Cretein (sp) didn't visit DND headquarters once! Not a single time nor did he go overseas and visit the troops anywhere. A perfect topper for an embarrassement in Canadian politics.

At least Harper is making the effort. I suspect that the screen was so that he could have uninterrupted discussion with the lads instead of them feeling awkward with all the cameras hovering.

Guest rattler

From the Toronto Star..

Harper began the day having breakfast with a small number of soldiers in a section of the mess tent screened off from the rest of  diners.

I guess he was just try'n to be one of the boys ..... yeh -right dry.gif

If you have been made to suffer his appearance on TV while on his visit you might have noticed how "stiff and awkward" he appears.

No, I am not thrilled by the man, the party or their policies, and feel he is not head and shoulders above any other Canadian politician.

Seems that he is serious about being with the "boys" even to the exclusion of the press corps.

Harper goes beyond Kandahar base to spread morale message to Canadian troops

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at 8:28 on May 23, 2007, EST.

By JAMES MCCARTEN AND ALEXANDER PANETTA

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper shakes hands with an unidentified Afghan National commander during a tour of a Canadian forward operation base in Ma'Sum Ghar, Kandahar province Afghanistan, Wednesday. (CP/Tom Hanson)

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - Decked out in protective gear, a helmet under his arm, Stephen Harper delivered a thumbs-up to no one but a solitary cameraman Wednesday as he boarded a Black Hawk helicopter to become one of the only serving prime ministers to venture perilously close to the front lines of war.

For the first time, Harper travelled beyond the safety of Kandahar Airfield to a forward operating base at Ma'sum Ghar, a rocky, mountainous patch of Afghanistan hard between the Panjwaii District Bazaar and the Arghandab River that's steeped in the blood of Canadian soldiers.

But thanks to a controversial decision by the Prime Minister's Office to cancel a military convoy of journalists who were supposed to accompany him, the event - billed as historical by the deputy commander of Canadian forces - went largely unwitnessed by the media, save for a handful of photographers.

"I have a doctorate in history," Col. Mike Cessford told a news conference in advance of Harper's departure.

"No sitting prime minister, in my opinion, has been closer to combat operations than this prime minister today."

Archived