Illegal Immigrants

Kip Powick

This was passed to me...my comments are in RED

Recently a woman wrote a 'Letter to the Editor' concerning Canada’s lenient policy on illegal immigrants in Canada. She cuts to the chase and explains things better than all the rhetoric you hear on TV.((Please note- a search on the Web has indicated that this was first seen in the US and has been modified to reflect a "Canadian" author)). Her letter said:

Recently, large demonstrations have taken place across the

country protesting the fact that parliament is finally addressing the issue

of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that Canada might

actually want to protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak

into this country and, once here, make it harder (as an illegal immigrant)

to stay indefinitely.

Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind

these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Then, when you discover me

in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, 'I've made all the beds

and washed the dishes and done the laundry and swept the floors; I've done

all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except

for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay,

you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and

provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your

yard work) because he too is hard-working and honest, except for that

breaking-in part.

If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my

friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my illegal

right to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house

than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hard-working and

honest, um, except for well, you know. And what a deal it is for me!!

I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the

cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being

accused of selfishness, prejudice and being an anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah,

and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me!

English is too hard for me to learn. You should also allow me to vote - in

my own language, since I live in your house!

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is? Only in Canada

This looks like it was writen after the demonstrations in the states when the mainly Mexican people stayed away from work to attend the demonstrations.

I personally think the comparisons are completely idiotic and xenophobic.

The story written is not analgous to an illegal immigrant's situation and looks like more pandering by the FAUX News crowd.

I dunno, sounds pretty accurate to me... People trying to jump the Immigration "queue" and say, - Well I'm here now... Deal with me...

And how many are getting into Canada without status. We should not just mimic Lou Dobbs and all of the anti-immigrant rhetoric. I don't see too many people who claim refugee status being arrested for break and enter. I do see immigrants with PhD's driving cabs because we as a society can't figure out how to integrate them properly.

Guest rattler

And how many are getting into Canada without status. We should not just mimic Lou Dobbs and all of the anti-immigrant rhetoric. I don't see too many people who claim refugee status being arrested for break and enter. I do see immigrants with PhD's driving cabs because we as a society can't figure out how to integrate them properly.

As with any other degree the value of a "PHD" is variable depending upon the discipline studied and of course the academic standard of the institute granting the PHD.

AFFORDABLE ONLINE BACHELOR'S, MASTER'S & DOCTORATE DEGREES
Add bachelor's, master's or doctorate degrees to your resume in just 7 days and open avenues to promotion and better jobs!

http://www.belforduniversity.org/?engine=a...%29&match_type=

Having a PHD does not entitle to or necessarily qualify anyone for a job.

That being said, we do need to have a better process in place to vet the credentials of those who wish to emigrate to Canada and be upfront in telling them if they will or will not be able to find employment in that chosen vocation / profession.

Regarding illegal immigrants, the problem we have in that regard is our Charter of Rights in which anyone in Canada (illegal or otherwise) has rights and can use our courts to fight being booted out. This needs to be dealt with. A good / bad example are the members of the US armed forces who are deserting and seeking refuge in Canada (remember these are volunteers, not draftees).

What's the difference between break and enter and breaking into the Country? Illegal Immigration is a so called "Victim-less" Crime?

Yes we have too many Cab Driver's and Janitors with Phd's. The problem is with the standards for accreditation. How do you ensure that a medical certificate from another country is up to standard of the Canadian Medical Association?

You can't just write a test and say, "Okay, your a Dr. go forth and practice". There is a reason that it takes years to become a Doctor. There is testing and proficiency checks all along the way. How does one ensure that those have been completed to the standards demanded by the Canadian Medical Association?

I don't have an answer, but it's not as easy as saying, "Oh you were a Doctor in your Country, here's a shingle hang it over there and go practice"...

That's just the Medical profession. Engineers are another story...

Archived