Strike Two

Kip Powick

Strike Two..

Memories of an Instructor

by

DK “Kip” Powick

It was another magical Manitoba night as a slight breeze from the south west slowly pushed the remaining cumulous clouds into a grayish pile on the eastern horizon. Occasionally a full moon could be seen peeking through the clouds as started its slow trek over Lake Manitoba, its feeble attempt to catch the sleeping sun. It looked like it would be a great night for some “black ” flying and I was anxious to get in the air and enjoy another night in the dusky and darkening sky.

I have always enjoyed flying at night as it always seemed more magical to be flying when, at times, there was no discernible horizon, the bright stars and land locked lights all blended into one mass of sparkling diamonds on a black velvet background. There was always a feeling of contentment when I strapped in the aircraft and the summer warmth of darkness and the soft glow of the instrument panel enveloped the cockpit. Perhaps one reason for being enamored by night flying was the fact that I enjoyed instrument flying and although this student mission called for some upper air work, a high altitude penetration approach, and 30 minutes of traffic patterns with touch and go landings and would be mainly “clear hood” flying, it did give me an opportunity to ensure that I was maintaining a decent VFR/IFR cross-check.

There was only two times that the backseat of a T33 would feel uncomfortable to an instructor at night and that was just after take-off and just prior to crossing the approach lights during a landing. At night there were very few ground references an instructor could use after take off, particularly at Gimli, and once the fellow in the front seat rotated and flew the aircraft off the ground the aircraft wings as well as the cockpit ahead tended to block out any visual cues that one would normally have during the day time and in the back seat one relied on the altimeter and, hopefully, its indication of a climb !!. The same could be said about a portion of the final approach to land as the aircraft blocked out the approach lights and not much could be seen until the aircraft was almost over the button of the runway. I, like every other instructor made sure all the seat straps were tight and went through a silent ejection drill prior to every first take-off at night….just in case.

“Brian” was my student for the night mission and this was his first night flight in the T33 with our unit. I had been flying with Brian for three missions now as his assigned instructor was recovering from an appendectomy and would not be back on line for at least another six weeks. Brian was what we referred to as a “pipeliner” and had just graduated a few months prior as a qualified military pilot. After graduation he was sent on the Summer Bush survival course at CFB Namao, had taken a few weeks of Annual Leave, and then proceeded to CFB Clinton for the School of Instructional Technique, (SIT), course prior to coming back to CFB Gimli to be trained as a T33 Qualified Flight Instructor, (QFI). As Brian had been out of the cockpit for almost three months a quick refresher course was being run and his competency was being assessed prior to the commencement of his official FIS course.

The Flight Instructor School, (FIS) had just recently moved from CFB Portage la Prairie and was now located at CFB Gimli, the T33/Tutor jet training base where I had initially started instructing at as a “C” Category instructor a year earlier. I moved to being a “B” category instructor and shortly after that, my “A2” category was granted and I was sent to instruct at FIS Portage La Prairie where I acquired my “A1” QFI rating. Federal politics resulted in the FIS moving back to CFB Gimli, which resulted in another move and thus I had moved my family three times in less than three years……my wife was not amused.

We briefed in one of the individual hanger classrooms prior to walking out to the aircraft and based on his excellent understanding of the mission profile for that night, as well as my experience with him during the VFR daylight missions, I felt we were about to have a good flight. After preflight and engine start we taxied out in preparation for take-off. We were number four for take-off and our departure to the south east was a non-event…except for the fleeting moment of apprehension as we climbed over that black abyss at the end of the runway. Brian contacted radar control and we climbed up to 25,000 feet for some steep turns and “unusual attitude” recovery procedures. As expected, Brian had no problems with any of the upper air work and we requested a High Level Tacan Approach with a low approach and clearance to join the VFR traffic pattern for circuits. The approach was well flown with only minor errors when tracking the radials and flying the arc. We completed the cleared low approach and joined the traffic in the circuit.

A normal traffic pattern for a T33 is flown at 260 knots and is like any other aircraft circuit except for the fact that the turn onto final is comprised of two 45 degree turns to line up with the runway and circuit altitude is held until the aircraft has completed a “flat break” over the button of the runway. Over the button the aircraft banks at 60 degrees, speed brakes are extended, enters the turn with about 2G and ends up opposite the button at 195 knots, the gear is selected down and at 175 knots full flaps are selected and the pilot commences a relatively steep descending final turn with a minimum of 140 knots and, in theory, the wings level at 400 feet AGL. He then reduces the speed in order to cross the landing threshold at approximately 105 knots. Naturally the final approach pattern has to be adjusted should there be an affecting wind but as luck would have it, there was little wind that night.

Brian was flying excellent traffic patterns with good square corners and rolled into each corner with 60 degrees of bank and rarely exceeded the recommended 2G in each turn. He had done about three well flown traffic patterns and on his last touch and go I took control as he lifted off the runway and requested a “closed pattern”. This maneuver merely meant that we did not have to fly the full traffic pattern, I would maintain 195 knots in a shallow climb and when cleared, add power and climb at 195 knots and in a steep turning climb up to the circuit altitude in a tight downwind at 195 knots, and be in position as if I had just done a flat break over the button of the runway. This procedure was mainly used to put the aircraft in a final approach configuration in minimum time and was used to demonstrate to a student an area of his flying that he might need more instruction.

That night I flew the “closed pattern” because I just wanted to do an approach, for my own proficiency from the back seat, and rather that waste Brian’s flying time, I would be able to complete a touch and go in minimum time. I completed the approach and landing and after the aircraft was climbing away from the runway with the landing gear selected up and the flaps in transition to “full up” I handed the aircraft back to Brian and he climbed up into the cross-wind leg of the traffic pattern on a westerly heading. I figured about two more traffic patterns for Brian and we would call it a night as there was no doubt he was having no problems…or so I thought.

I was relaxed, sitting in the back, as we headed crosswind, and was thinking about what I would do with during the half day off I would have before my next instructional flight due the next afternoon. The next sequence of events happened in the blink of an eye.

I was just sitting there enjoying the view and happened to look over Brian’s left shoulder and marveled at the blurry moon on the horizon….but wait … how could that be? We were heading in a westerly direction and not 45 minutes before we had seen the moon out to the east . As my mind processed the visual cues and my eye caught the flight instruments, I slammed the throttle closed, actuated the speed brakes, grabbed the control column and pitched the aircraft into a 60 degree, 7G, nose up attitude, cycled the speed brakes back in, applied full power and as we passed about four thousand feet rolled the aircraft inverted, leveled, and peered down into the traffic pattern…… with my heart rate approaching warp speed.

There was no moon out to the west……Brian was flying up the tailpipe of the aircraft ahead of us and what I happened to see were the flame pots in the aircraft’s engine that we were about to ram !!! Brian had misread his airspeed indicator and instead of flying the traffic pattern at 260 knots he was approaching 360 knots and we were seconds away from rear ending the aircraft ahead of us.

As I rolled upright I heard the tower calling us and demanding to know our intentions. I assured the tower controller that “our intentions were honorable” and that we would quickly slide down into the traffic pattern and that I would personally telephone the controller once we were on the ground. Silence permeated the cockpit, Brian was thunderstruck and was having trouble reconciling what had happened. The abrupt pull-up had blacked him out and when the G forces were unloaded he couldn’t comprehend how we arrived at being inverted at 4000 feet. I flew the next pattern and we discussed what had happened and the fact that he had misread the airspeed indicator ……thankfully he never asked why I let him get that close to the aircraft ahead of us. Brian flew two more traffic patterns, both well done and we called it a night.

There is no doubt he had learned some valuable lessons, one being that at night, speed perception can be elusive, another, that a lengthy fixation on one instrument in VFR conditions, in this case the airspeed indicator, can sometimes lead one to be to be oblivious of ones external surroundings. There is no doubt that Brian was attempting to “peg” his speed however, he was attempting to “peg” a speed that was 100 knots high. While the lesson was of paramount importance to Brian, it was also very apparent that I had encountered my second incident of “comfortable complacency” when flying with an above average “hands and feet pilot.”.. The incident went into my mind’s vault, filed under “stupid things I have done” and strengthened my resolve to be more alert no matter who I was flying with and what their experience/qualifications were.

This resolve would stand me in good stead during my airline career during an approach into Toronto one dark and cloudy night.

Copyright. 2006 CopperTree. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten, or redistributed.

Guest rattler

Kip: you may find this of interest.

About the rescue of a T33 languishing in a farmer's field and it's restoration.

http://www.bcam.net/ac_rest/t33.htm

Also this one is on display in Nanton Alberta. In your log book?

One of the Canadian built aircraft, it's fuselage bears serial #21272 although the tail is from another aircraft.

post-5-1162923086_thumb.jpg

Seven + hours in a Tutor...two of them practicing outside loops.

Ouch...I hated doing that! I was always a verticle fan or idle aerobatics. wink.gif

The CT-114 was a great aerobatic trainer but the CT-133 was just special. Something about flying a true vintage aircraft. cool.gif

082 or 272 is a very old aircraft and may not have been renumbered in 1968.

Here is a very interesting site on CF aircraft.

CF Aircraft

Thanks for the link and I wonder how the farmer got the aircraft.

I bet it was forgotten back in the 50's after a forced landing. I remember scouting out a Lancaster bomber from a farmer’s field in Alberta in the early 80's which is now guarding Lancaster Park. smile.gif

I bet it was forgotten back in the 50's after a forced landing

It is was not recommended to "force land" a T-33 unless you were over a runway. That I recall, there were two forced landings while I was instructing, both had survivors and were very lucky......one was at CFB Gimli when the engine quit at too low an altitude to eject and one of your now western Federal MP's, Laurie Hawn, did a great job of landing in the swamp, short of the runway with no injuries.

The other was at Thunder Bay, back when it was called Lakehead, when a QFI and student attempted to take off with the armament doors unlocked...a real no-no....(They opened shortly after takeoff and act like GIGANTIC..."this airplane will cease to fly" speedbrakes).... The aircraft smucked in a farmers field and the QFI still carries the scars from the fire...again, too low to bail out.

I was curious how airframe 082 became 272 then you flew it as 627?

I never did think you flew it there! biggrin.gif

handyman.

The one that Rattler put up as a picture shows a number as 082 and then he had a "quote" that stated that the actual number was 272...not sure where that came from so I assumed that 082 was a mixture of 082 and 272 as apparently part of the fuselage was from 272 but they numbered it 082..Why?? I dunno.

Rattler......the photo you posted is not the T33 at Nanton, (unless they have two). The T-Bird at Nanton is number 616. Your photo is aT33 at Rocky Mountain House.

handyman.

You are confused......Rattler put up a post concerning the finding of 627 in a farmers field. I posted when I flew it....three times in 1970

082/272 is the one on the metal post...that I said I never flew

You are correct, I am confused but I now understand that we are referring to atleast 2 different aircraft.

Please help me with this!

How did 082 become 272?

In 1968 all RCAF aircraft were renumbered for the CAF. For instance, 21625 became 133625. The last 3 numbers remained!

Also,

In the link from Rattler, I don't see any mention of airframe 627? What I do see is a fuselage pic with either *62 or *52 on it and a tail with 4** on it. ohmy.gif

Help me old wise one as I have had 3 coffee's in 30 minutes and I'm wound tighter than a horses wip. blink.gif

Your confused !!!! I'm beyond confused...............the aircraft on the web page that rattler linked has an airframe in flight numbered 627 at the top. I figured that must be the one they are restoring otherwise why put that aircraft up there with that number?? Wrong!!!

A quick call to the museum in BC and I was informed that the one found in the field and being restored is 462, so your 4 on the tail and the 6* makes sense.

I have looked all over and can not find why that aircraft was in a field or for how long. The number is not in the register.

Now back to rattler....... I have no idea what his quote refers to and he labeled the photo incorrectly so one can only assume he is drinking from aluminum cans ...again... rolleyes.gif

I do know one thing....that if anyone tries to follow this thread...they will go batty. laugh.gif

Guest rattler

handyman.

The one that Rattler put up as a picture shows a number as 082 and then he had a "quote" that stated that the actual number was 272...not sure where that came from so I assumed that 082 was a mixture of 082 and 272 as apparently part of the fuselage was from 272 but they numbered it 082..Why?? I dunno.

Rattler......the photo you posted is not the T33 at Nanton, (unless they have two). The T-Bird at Nanton is number 616. Your photo is aT33 at  Rocky Mountain House.

Gee Kip, It seems that the Nanton folkw do own two of them. On outside display, as gate-guardians, our T-33 and CF-100 jet aircraft represent the early post-war era and make it very clear to passers-by on the highway that our building is an air museum.

The Nanton Air Museum's "Rocky T-33"

on display during the 2002 Rocky Mountain House Air Show.

Note CF-18 in background. 

Canadair T-33 (Serial #21437) was acquired by the Society in December, 2001. It is currently on long term loan to the Rocky Mountain House Flying Club on behalf of the Rocky Mountain House Airport Commission. After a great deal of effort by the club it now provides an impressive display at the entrance to the airport

The Museum's T-33's

The T-33 on display at the Nanton Lancaster Air Museum is on long term loan by Orville Rowland of Okotoks. One of the Canadian built aircraft, it's fuselage bears serial #21272 although the tail is from another aircraft.

It was taken on strength by the RCAF in 1954 and assigned to #2 Advanced Flying School at CFB Portage la Prairie, Manitoba where in remained until it was struck off strength in 1967. Mr. Rowland acquired the aircraft and placed it on display at the Okotoks Airport. It was acquired by the museum in 1998.

The markings are those of a T-33 flown by W/C Jack Allan. W/C Allan was born and raised in Nanton. Following wartime service in North Africa where he flew Spitfires and Hurricanes, he helped form the "Golden Hawks," the RCAF's spectacular aerobatic team which flew F-86 Sabre Jets. Two T-33's were assigned to the team, one of which carried the number 21616. As the officer commanding the team for three years, W/C Allan travelled all over North America flying this aircraft.

the picture is from this page.

http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/t33.html

Guest rattler

Kip: ref your

Now back to rattler....... I have no idea what his quote refers to and he labeled the photo incorrectly so one can only assume he is drinking from aluminum cans ...again... 

Much too early to be drinking and scotch doesn't come in aluminum cans.

Kip: ref your

Much too early to be drinking and scotch doesn't come in aluminum cans.

Well maybe... but it was a beautiful jab. biggrin.gif

Kip... As for following this thread?.... You're absolutely right! huh.gif ... Must be a slew of deleted posts.... Now I'm going back to read the lead story.

Guest rattler

Well maybe...  but it was a beautiful jab. biggrin.gif

Kip... As for following this thread?.... You're absolutely right!  huh.gif ... Must be a slew of deleted posts.... Now I'm going back to read the lead story.

Mitch, you always did like Kip better. cool.gif No deletions from my end but it appears that Kip did remove at least one or two or ????

(Kip Powick @ Nov 7 2006, 11:33 AM)

Thanks for the link and I wonder how the farmer got the aircraft. 

(Kip Powick @ Nov 7 2006, 12:18 PM)

Good grief man. I'm not that old.......re-read my post...I flew it in the 70's so it couldn't have been forgotten in the 50's. 

Kip.... unsure.gif I loved your story... I always do. I like your writing.... and I'm quite eager to read the next one.... but ahhhh.... "one dark and stormy night"??? icon_question.giflaugh.gif

Rattler... hang on while I eat dinner and think of a good come back....

That has to be the most "unclear" website I have ever been to..

The picture shows 082 and has the following quote beside it....

The T-33 on display at the Nanton Lancaster Air Museum is on long term loan by Orville Rowland of Okotoks. One of the Canadian built aircraft, it's fuselage bears serial #21272 although the tail is from another aircraft. So the question has to be asked......what is the correct number of the aircraft.... 082 or 272 or is it a combination of both and they used 082 on their mounted T-33?

Secondly it is stated that 616 was WC Allan's T-33 yet the write up is under 082 but at the top of the link you can just see the numbers 616 on the first photo . 616 is rather unique because it does not have its number on the nose.

Thirdly at the bottom of the link it states...Canadair T-33 (Serial #21437) was acquired by the Society in December, 2001. It is currently on long term loan to the Rocky Mountain House Flying Club on behalf of the Rocky Mountain House Airport Commission. After a great deal of effort by the club it now provides an impressive display at the entrance to the airport

So unless they are playing with aircraft parts and Reg numbers...Nanton must have 3 T33s........so confusing but in the end I am probably the only one who is having a problem with all the numbers. blink.gif

And yes...I did delete the post about me flying 627 or was it 762 or 267? user posted image

That has to be the most "unclear" website I have ever been to..

handyman.

You are confused......Rattler put up a post concerning the finding of 627 in a farmers field. I posted when I flew it....three times in 1970

082/272 is the one on the metal post...that I said I never flew

I guess we now know why? tongue.gifwink.gif

...but I'm with Mitch, great story! smile.gif

Ok Rattler... through supper and beyond, now... I got nuthin'! unsure.gif ... No comebacks to be had... I just keep thinkin' of the Smothers Brothers "Mom always liked you best!" routine... laugh.gif

No favorites Rattler.... I'll play fair. ...I promise. wink.gif

You guys are a hoot translate to "nut cases" ! However you're always good entertainment.

This summer on my 'Cousins Cruise " we headed north of YQR on our way to Humbolt. As we were passing through Dafoe , I saw a WW2 hanger out in a field so we turned off and went to explore.

Its now used to house tractors , combines etc but a few of the old buildings were still standing. The apron is in pretty good shape and so is the runway considering the age of the concrete.

Through the weeds you could still find the foundations for the barracks, offices etc. Still standing was a building that looked like it was a maintenence gargage for the trucks as it had an oil pit, a 3 sided open fronted building that probably held the fire trucks and a nice sized but derelict house with some flowers still trying to bloom after 60 years.

I think Dafoe trained tail gunners as there was a small monument with a brief historyof the base. Someone had planted poppys around the monument.

It was rather awesome for us early 50's but still ravishing looking girls to wander through the hanger and the runway letting our imaginations take us back to the 40's. Thanks to Hollywood and the war movies , I could imagine the noise of the aircraft and in my mind see them taking off on the runway.

If my memory serves me correctly there were 5 air training bases in SK. Regina, Moose Jaw, Mossbank, Dafoe and ????

Sadly I remember exploring Mossbank's one remaining hanger in the early 70's with my mother and it still had the chalk board with the date/names/plane nos./takeoff times from the last day of operation. We both looked at each other and said shall we take it but had no tools to remove it. Damn. The hanger was pulled down and the board was probably thrown in the dump!!! Hindsight !

Sorry didn't mean to highjack the post but it sure brought back alot of memories of my relatives who served in the war and trained or taught in Mossbank. My grandfather always loved to tell the story of his future son-in-law who used to fly so low over the farm that the cows would scatter all over and it would take him extra hours to get them back to the barn for milking as they were so agitated.

Archived