Any behavioral psychologists in the crowd?

The pursuit of levity seems to be much neglected around here lately.

Hey! I'm with ya on that thought... over the last couple weeks I've posted a couple things that had me just howling with laughter... but I guess my own sense of humour is a little off, 'cause nobody else was laughing. unsure.gif [shrug]

I appreciate your defence effort Kevin, but heck... Ain't nuthin old Handyman can toss my way that I cain't just ball it up an' chuck it right back... btw... his airplane has training wheels. biggrin.gif

Why do people here seem to frequently choose to attack the author when they disagree with the content of the post?

whusgoinon?  huh.gif

Here is my take on the subject.

What you see here, and to some extent on some other aviation forums (I think AVCANADA is the worst) is a hugely dysfunctional family getting together for a "chat" every day. Visualise those "Thanksgiving-dinner-from-hell" movie comedies and you might grasp my meaning. Many posters here know each other well enough (even if only anonymously) to understand how to press the right buttons and get each other wound up. Sometimes it's deliberate and sometimes simply out of habit. Some days we're in a better mood than others, and can take it with humour; some days... not so much. Only on rare occasions have I felt that the poster had malicious intent and usually Admin has stepped in.

As to the question:

Are airline employees more competitive than others?

I don't think so. There are are lots more competitive groups out there in the market economy (think sales, for one...). My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the people in this very small industry are hyper-sensitive. On a daily basis and on a personal level the aviation employee is invigilated, by regulatory agencies, safety boards, OTP monitors, managers, the public, other flight crew etc. etc. (Most employees in other industries get yearly performance reviews.) That kind of oversight has to have an effect.

Then throw in the personal drive necessary to stay the course to make it to the airlines, the intelligence required to learn and do the jobs (in particular pilots and AMEs), the ego needed to believe that we can make the magic of flight real and you've got a very interesting group of people... who need to vent now and then.

The only two other forums I lurk are AVCANADA and pprune. The former reminds me too much of the cacaphony in a bar just before last call and the latter is divided up into so many boards that posters (for the most part) don't get the opportunity to push each others buttons.

This forum is a nice compromise. And I appreciate and have learned from many of the brains that generate the posts.

ccairspace

I appreciate your defence effort Kevin, but heck... Ain't nuthin old Handyman can toss my way that I cain't just ball it up an' chuck it right back... btw... his airplane has training wheels. biggrin.gif

Those aren't training wheels Mitchy old boy...there extra credits to run over varmon on the ramp! biggrin.gif

Guest rattler
Hey! I'm with ya on that thought... over the last couple weeks I've posted a couple things that had me just howling with laughter... but I guess my own sense of humour is a little off, 'cause nobody else was laughing. unsure.gif [shrug]

Is this him and his aircraft??????

The Harrier is the only other aircraft that I know to have training wheels. tongue.gif

post-5-1143819996_thumb.jpg

Guest rattler

What about the U-2?

and folks say you can not learn from this forum. laugh.gif

U2 added to my list but I guess in fairness we need to add any float plane that take off in the spring using a dolly (wheeled not heeled type) from an airport (ground that is).

Rattler,

I was referring to those two extra main gear on the Jumbo that are only there because some old geezers like Handyman can't be trusted to put the beast down nice and gently every time. tongue.gif

Handyman... y'ol codger you... Put on yer damn glasses when you use that keyboard! ..."Varmon"?!? ...Ya mean Varmints? ...Vermin?

Now it's time, once again, for the wrench to teach the pilot some more:

"your" - Your ass is grass!

"you're" - Conjunction of you are. - You're going to write that up, aren't you?

"there" - That switch like thingy right there.

"their" - Belongs to them. as in: Those buttons all have their lights flashing!

"they're" - They're going to be mad at you.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Rattler,

I was referring to those two extra main gear on the Jumbo that are only there because some old geezers like Handyman can't be trusted to put the beast down nice and gently every time. tongue.gif

Handyman... y'ol codger you... Put on yer damn glasses when you use that keyboard! ..."Varmon"?!? ...Ya mean Varmints? ...Vermin?

Now it's time, once again, for the wrench to teach the pilot some more:

"your" - Your ass is grass!

"you're" - Conjunction of you are. - You're going to write that up, aren't you?

"there" - That switch like thingy right there.

"their" - Belongs to them. as in: Those buttons all have their lights flashing!

"they're" - They're going to be mad at you.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Oh you pesky vermin or vermint, either will suffice! biggrin.gif

In my job, I don't have to write...at least not well. Thanks for the grammar lesson. Never to late too learn! Just kidding about that last sentence.

laugh.gif

Archived