I sit corrected

Kip Powick

I dunno where or when but I do remember there was a thread about vessel steering and the point was that in the film the Titanic it appeared the helmsman turned the wheel in the wrong direction when he was ordered to change course when the vessel hit the iceberg.

Done a lot of reading about the Titanic recently, including the building and operations of the vessel, (no, I did not dive on it biggrin.gif ) and it became quite clear that the Titanic had "Tiller Steering".

For those non-nautical folks, that means to make a boat turn starboard one pushes the tiller to the port and in the case of the Titanic, when the helmsman was ordered to turn the vessel one way, he would have spun the "wheel" the opposite way..

Seemed very odd to me so I believe I was adamant that the Titanic would have what we consider as normal steering, (go right, turn wheel right etc) like we have to day.......

I was wrong.

Hi Kip

You musta been away for a while as you never made one of your enlightened comments about THIS THREAD. Or, perhaps it just a wee bit too personal? laugh.gif

John

Hi John...what a hoot !!!! Just got back from 14 days of Scuba in Cuba. Scuba 02 and I had a ball, the only downside was CUBANA and of course the drive home last night....5 hours on the 401 where it normally would take 1+45 .

Nice to be back but 136 emails and tons of mail will keep me off the forum for a few days.

PS...printed the picture...scuba 02 is still laughing !!! biggrin.gif

Archived