Gone, but not forgotten...

Mitch Cronin

20 years ago, or so, I sat in an old bread truck on the ramp at T1 in YYZ... with me was a man who introduced me to the value of a good Avionics Technician... His professional approach to all matters pertaining to the aircraft he worked on helped to impress upon me the sincerity needed in aircraft maintenance.

His good humour in other matters was also a good introduction and fine example of a great working spirit.

Over the years I've always been impressed by his continued dedication to his profession and the example he provided to all....

And I liked the man.

This past weekend, he came to work and dropped dead.... apparent heart failure of some variety (I don't know the actual cause)...

Don Fung-on will be missed by all of us....

As I tilt my glass, and try to dry these tears.... I'm thinking of you Don. Best of luck in whatever new adventures may come your way. Thanks for all you've done.

martini.gif

Mitch:

I am really sorry to hear about your friend's sudden passing. While I never had the pleasure of meeting him, I have talked with several folks over the years who have spoke of their admiration for the man. May he rest in peace.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

I feel the need to admit it would be pretentious of me to call him my friend. We were colleagues, and I liked, and respected the man.... no idea what he thought of me. I declined his offer to join his crew of contracting AME's.... Which is another mark in his long list of accomplishments... He helped an awful lot of people cope with their declining salaries and rising expenses over time. ...as well as helping companies in need of skilled help find satisfaction....

When we learned about his death at work, we were, of course (I guess), expected to continue our work... like the machine that never stops... or the ant colony, who's individual members mean nothing to the whole.... it felt wrong.

I commented several times to those in my presence that I felt like we should at least all go for a beer in his honour... a pause of some sort , at least.... something to acknowledge that his presence... his life... his contribution to our profession and our company had meaning, and would be missed. I'm certain that, to a man, all agreed.... but we all swallowed and went back to work.... many of us thinking all the while of our own significance, or lack of same, in the whole picture...

...And there in my mind stayed the image of that man in the old bread truck, learning Spanish for an upcoming holiday, by studying a tape, in between work on our turnarounds of DC10's and 747's... he lived, he breathed... he laughed and smiled and cussed and griped... and he worked with pride. He did have an impact, and he meant something and contributed to what we see now.... the machine could have afforded a pause to acknowledge... and appreciate his contributions.

sad.gif .... forgive me for that.... please... I guess I needed to say something.... I just got an email from a friend that got my heart zoned in on truth.... as emails from that friend always seem to do... thanks friend. smile.gif

That is a touching and heartfelt eulogy, Mitch.

The need to pause and remember is important, and is as much an acknowledgement of our own mortality as it is an honouring of another’s life. The time for this reflection cannot always be immediate even though the yearning is. From what you wrote, I have a feeling that Don would have understood.

ccairspace

Archived