Zoom Airlines says 'Aloha!' to Honolulu

W5

I wish them luck, but I hope they realize that Hawaii is one of the lowest yield markets out there, and it just isn't that popular with folks from eastern Canada any more. You can do much better for your buck in the Caribbean and Mexico, and the flight is half as long.

I wish them luck, but I hope they realize that Hawaii is one of the lowest yield markets out there, and it just isn't that popular with folks from eastern Canada any more. You can do much better for your buck in the Caribbean and Mexico, and the flight is half as long.

I am sure that yields are low to Hawaii, at least in terms of cents per revenue seat mile. However, whether or not it is profitable is another matter. It is a long (but not too long!) leg through uncrowded space in normally good weather. Also it is possible (at least from the west coast), to go there and back in one day, permitting efficient utilization of aircraft and crew. This means low cost per seat mile.

Of course, this is the traditional charter market. A charter carrier spends most of its energy figuring out how to get to and from such places as efficiently as possible with a full load. A mainline scheduled carrier may have more problems if it has a lesser priority.

Hawaii service comes and goes. There is always a market for someone.

Archived