A non'issue?

I guess it's just me but this appears to be a space filler in todays G and M. Good grief, what "privacy issue"? DOB is on your Health card, Divers Licence and Passport, for openers. Anyone who wants to cover their "six", and ease their way on an airplane, as well as have an excellent travel document should be carrying a Passport anyway but ...hey...just my opinion.

Ottawa — Canadian travellers may soon have to provide their birthdate before boarding an airplane as a measure to help screen out possible terrorists.

National security adviser William Elliott says knowing when a person was born is one of the best ways for officials to match a passenger with a name on a watch list.

Mr. Elliott, who provides advice to the prime minister, says the government is wrestling with the privacy implications of requiring people to hand over the information.

Currently some airlines demand photo identification from passengers, but it is not mandatory. And it may not include the person's birthdate.

In the time since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks against the United States, some travellers have been mistaken for others with the same name who are considered genuine security threats. Even U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy was stopped by airport screeners.

Mr. Elliott said work on improving the Canadian watch-list system is proceeding cautiously.

Kip,,,

I've always been of the belief that if you don't do anything wrong, you don't have anything to hide.

I personally haven't experienced any problems in life with issues of these sorts as I have always been up front, honest, and forthwright.

In my circle of friends, the ones that have been hassled are the ones who are up to something wink.gif

Caveat Emptor!

Iceman biggrin.gif

The real issue is

What do the authorities hope to accomplish with this?

Will the terrorists use real birth dates?

Is it impossible to forge a passport?

It sounds to me like a monumental waste of time. It was to start this process and after a number of big errors in the states they are looking to be seen doing something.

Mr. Elliott, who provides advice to the prime minister, says the government is wrestling with the privacy implications of requiring people to hand over the information.

Currently some airlines demand photo identification from passengers, but it is not mandatory.

Really? blink.gif

And it may not include the person's birthdate.

Can one simply take photo of one's self and write their name on the back? Has anyone ever tried to board an airliner without official photo ID? (I'm thinking one could probably get on the small commuter foights without ID, but I don't know because I have never flown those yet.)

ccairspace

Archived