It's the Rabbit Trails!

I've been trying to put my finger on just what it is I miss about the old forum format, and it finaly hit me... this thoroughly un-threaded tree of posts doesn't allow for the rabbit trails.... You can't just branch off of a branch you're in and have a side conversation by posting something off the topic of the "thread" (which is more like a branch with no branches of it's own)...

So once we get used to that, I guess we'll just learn to let it go in some places, or, if it's worth it, start a new branch off the main trunk. Unless I've missed something... it seems like this format doesn't have much room for the rabbit trails some of us used to enjoy.

I dunno yet... maybe the "new topic" for that sort of thing is just as easy... still just not used to this new format.... huh.gif

Mitch..yep, me too. I could skip threads or I could go back to them.

The difference is the old forum was analogue and this one is digital. Digital doesn't tell a story, analogue does because it knows where its been and by how much. "Threaded" is important. I haven't explored enough to know if "threads" can be made of responses or if replies are just tacked on to the end of the previous post but I suspect that's the way its structured. In the few other forums I drop in on, (fewer these days), its the way their structured as well..probably easier housekeeping for the software.

dh

Ahh now there went another example of the oddity... my response was being formed for Malcolm, and in the meantime (obviously thinking faster than I), Don posts a reply.... I should have headed my post with: "Malcolm,"... but didn't think I'd need to.... I'll learn, in time...

Don, (there see... I'm learning. tongue.gif)

I suppose this format has it's advantages, and I hope it's bumps and hollows will be felt as averaging out, at least... It's this forum's contributors that got me interested in the first place... and then kept me here.... and I see you're still here (for now), so that's a good sign! biggrin.gif

Cheers...

Archived