Pam, Buzz, Dave, et al

Kip Powick

I hate to be cynical but I would almost bet big $$ that the glorious leaders of CUPE, IAM and CAW will all say..

“See… told, ya…someone was out there just waiting to buy into AC and there are plenty more out there waiting soooooo…we’re not giving one &%$*#* more cent in concessions.”

I hope I am wrong but………………………………?

Union officials said they're willing to review the numbers but not to negotiate further concessions.

"All we're going to do is review what we've already agreed to do," said Dave Ritchie of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

Pamela Sachs, president of the Air Canada component of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, suggested that Air Canada has mismanaged the implementation of cost-saving measures and now is turning to the unions for more cuts.

"We talk an awful lot about how this company is managed," Sachs said.

"If they're not managing their resources and what they have, are we going to give them more? I can tell you what the answer is. The answer is no, we're not."

However, the unions won't be asked to accept pension plan changes demanded by Trinity. Li's company pulled its investment after unions refused to have defined-benefit pensions replaced with defined-contribution plans.

Ritchie said Deutsche Bank's apparent lack of concern over pension structure is a "vindication" for the unions.

Sachs called Li's demand "a ploy," adding: "It was a planned crisis - it was another money grab."

"Sachs called Li's demand "a ploy," adding: "It was a planned crisis - it was another money grab."

Li followed the rules and left himself a backdoor through which he could exit while saving face.

Guest alldatjazz

Well if it was a "ploy" or a "planned crisis" I guess Mr. Li will be back asking to be given the opportunity of investing in AC. He now sees that the unions can't be pressured and will do it their way. Way to go Pam!

Now he will put his money where his mouth is and I think that's not with us.

On a separate issue; the biggest concern right now in my mind is, what is happening with GECAS? (General Electric Capital Aviation Services). They are sitting back watching developments from the sidelines and have yet to extend their lease agreements beyond this Friday, April 30th. I understand that Milton is talking to them to convince them to extend. Hope he is successful.

Archived