Me and AC to Cuba and Back

Kip Powick

AC to CUBA and Return

This vacation package was operated by Air Canada Vacations but was purchased through another package seller. The package was purchased very close to the departure date and we were advised that tickets and other documentation could not be mailed to us and that we were to pick up the paper work at T1 in Toronto.

After arriving at T1, I asked an AC agent where the Air Canada Vacations counter was located and was told it was in Concourse “A”. Sure enough, beside the long “ Purchase Tickets Here” sign, overhead the counter was a bright red sign that read “Air Canada Vacations”, the sign being approximately 6 feet long. There appeared to be at least 3 ticket windows below the sign, one of which was occupied by an elderly lady. I went to the counter beside her.

A rather large and unkempt agent ambled over and said, “Where, ya goin?”. At this point I would like to emphasize a point that we all know, but was quite relevant in this case. Not all people are “normal” sized, we all come in different packages. That being said, if one is to serve the public and represent a well known corporation, one would expect that the individual would ensure that the uniform issued/selected would be very close to being of adequate size rather than looking like 6 lbs of bon-bons being forced into a 3 lb bag.

I responded, “Cayo Coco, thank you”.

“Well you don’t get your tickets here”, said she, and turned to walk away..

“Excuse me”, I said, “Where do I get them? Is this not the Air Canada Vacations Counter?”

“Move back and get in line, the counter is over there”, she said indicating the counter immediately to my left, the one occupied by the elderly lady.

I pulled the luggage cart back and went to the edge of the “corral”, those taped off areas in front of ticket counters. Scuba 02 looked rather perplexed but said nothing, realizing that after encountering that type of attitude from a front line employee that I was on the verge of making a caustic remark to someone. The elderly lady completed her time at the AC Vacations counter and as I ambled up, the agent who had been dealing with her turned around and joined a conversation with 2 other agents who were doing nothing, that I could see, but standing around and observing. I’m sure the threesome only lasted a couple of minutes but it felt longer to me so I blurted out, “Excuse me!”

The agent that had been working with the elderly lady turned around and said “Yes?”

I stated that I wanted to pick up my tickets for our trip to Cayo Coco and she advised me that she was going on break and that it would take a few minutes to brief her relief, and her “buddy” would look after me. Her “relief” looked like she had as much enthusiasm for her job as I have for prostate cancer. She made a big deal about shuffling papers around, putting pens in pockets and adjusting her chair height and generally “sprucing up” her 4 square feet of counter space. Finally, with an exaggerated sigh, she plopped on her chair and said, “Yes?”

We got the tickets and pushed the cart over to check-in. This would be my first venture on AC with the scuba gear bags. At this time, I would like to point out that when we phoned to get the package the “seller” had to call AC Vacations and he was talking on two phones at once, one to me and the other to AC Vacations and when we confirmed that we would take the trip package I asked him to check with AC Vacations to ascertain baggage allowance. (There is no information on the AC Vacations website). He relayed to me that it was 2 bags each, for a total of 140 lbs each. If that was true, scuba gear would not be a problem.

The difference between the check-in employee and the ones I met at AC Vacations was like night and day. She was charming, polite, courteous, and was genuinely interested in getting us the best seats possible and assured us that there would be no problem with the scuba gear. The gear is in bags like those used as hockey bags and I am used to being told to take them to over-size luggage after check-in but she said it wasn’t a problem and to leave them with her. She gave us emergency row seats, put all the paper in order and smiling, wished us a happy holiday. At no time did I indicate I was ex AC but wondered if she knew something, or perhaps there was something on my file, so when we were finished I stood back for awhile and watched her work. She treated all customers the same, to her they were all important and she did the very best she could and I would consider her an asset to the company and can only wish there were more like her.

We had to be bussed over to the infield terminal to catch our flight. The flight was scheduled to leave at 1520 local. At 1410 the A-320 arrived in the area and had to hold short of the gate as there was no marshalling crew. At 1437, or 27 minutes later the aircraft approached the gate so for almost 30 minutes two engines sat out there burning fuel. Not very efficient in my opinion. The crew , Captain, First Officer, and one F/A had showed up at 1430 but could not get down the jet way as no one knew the door code. The gate agent showed up at 1435 and let them through the door.

She then perched herself on her chair, jaw working furiously while chewing her wad of gum, and proceeded to check herself in. The electronic board came to life and stated that the flight was bound for “CAYO”. A small point, I am sure, but I know about 10 people went up and asked her if this was the gate for CAYO COCO. Could the computer not light up the board with C. COCO or at least COCO? ……..CAYO merely means “island” and there is CAYO LARGO and many more CAYO destinations in Cuba.

If people have good memories I would expect that there are about 20-30 of us that now know the code to punch into the keyboard to get that specific gate door open. A couple of “late” F/As appeared, and rather than leave her chair, the gate agent merely shouted the access code to the F/As who were struggling with the keypad. Security ???

The gum smacking gate agent had us all boarding about 20 minutes prior to pushback so I guessed it would not be an “on time push”. Prior to pushing the Captain introduced himself and gave a short PA on the flight duration and expected weather. He did state that we would be cruising at 34,000 feet. Is that a normal cruise altitude now?? I thought FLs were 310, 330, 350, 370 etc. We pushed out 11 minutes late.

The safety demo was different and, I would guess, that by MOT standards, was questionable. The little screens dropped down and there was audio but no video, the I/C apologized for no video but no one did any demos….not sure how that rates as a safety briefing.

Everyone settled into their onboard routine and a movie was set up to run, with “Audio on channels 1 and 2”. All I got was a western music on Channel 1 and opera on Channel 2. About 5 minutes into the movie the I/C came on the PA, apologized and stated that the “audio was on Channel 7 and Channel 8” and by that time I am sure most of us had found it. We heard from the Captain again, during the movie, when he said, “Washington DC right below us on the right hand side”.

The meal service, drinks and bar service were all well done and there is little one can say about todays meals on any airline. The F/As were well turned out ,very pleasant and one young lady in particular took the time to ensure the little children and the elderly were comfortable.

If anyone has done a trip to Cuba you are well aware that one has to fill in a tourist card prior to landing and going through Customs and Immigration. The cards are normally included in ones package however just in case, the gate agent normally makes a PA prior to boarding asking those that do not have a card to kindly pick one up at the counter prior to boarding. It was done for our flight.

An hour out of Cuba the I/C made a PA advising us all that we were required to fill out the orange card they were handing out as it was necessary for clearing Customs and Immigration in Cuba. I took a card and looked it over and it was very similar to the blue cards we got with our tickets, the only change was that it asked each passenger their occupation. In the corner of the card was the issue date of the cards….1985. I asked the I/C if he had been to Cuba before, (he hadn’t), and suggested that these cards were now out of date and showed him my present blue card. He advised me that the orange cards were what he had been told to hand out but admitted he was not sure why he would be doing that if we all had the new blue cards. About 5 minutes later he got on the PA and told us all to throw away the orange cards as they were out of date. A large cheer went up.

While talking to the I/C I advised him that Cuba time was EST plus 1 hour. He stated that is what he thought as well but apparently when he mentioned it to the Captain, the Captain said he wasn’t sure if there was a time change so he wasn’t going to mention it on the PA. After we landed the I/C did PA that there was a time change. An uneventful landing in the darkness of night that rated a “9” and we taxied to the terminal. We were held onboard for approximately 10 minutes as apparently, according to the Captain, they did not have enough copies of the Gen Dec onboard and were trying to convince the Cuban authorities to let us off. We eventually deplaned into the warmth of a Cuban night !!!

The time in Cuba flew by and needless to say we had a ball and managed 25 dives. Many good underwater photos acquired. There was nothing unusual about our departure from Cuba on AC 14 days later with the exception of my time with Security and the infamous laptop incident so there is no need to dwell on the fact that I was to blame for the late pushback.

We had an excellent crew on the way back. The F/As were extremely cheerful, the video presentations were well done and the meal was certainly acceptable. Good PAs from the Flight Deck and my only comment would be that I think it would be nice to introduce the “other” guy by name, in the pointed end. Apparently we had adverse winds back to Canada, (so sayth the Captain), as we were close to 20 minutes late and I can only be blamed for 6 of those 20 minutes. A landing on 05L that rated a 9.0.

There is one thing that I found rather inconvenient and that was the fact that we landed at close to midnight yet we had to go to the infield and be bussed over to T1 to clear Customs. I know I don’t have the “big” picture but I would think it would certainly appease the many tired individuals if, at that time of the night, a gate could be found over at T1.

In summary, the two flights by AC were certainly acceptable with no preposterous occurrences and the thing that impressed me was the upbeat attitude of the Cabin Crew, something, in my opinion, I have not encountered for quite some time. All had a pleasant time and it is certainly encouraging to see happy crewmembers. (On the return flight the I/C was ex-Royal, the F/A at the front was ex WD/CP and the two F/As in the back were OAC). I suppose in hindsight the only low part of the entire flight was the meeting of the individuals working behind the ACVacations counter in YYZ and in my opinion their attitude would certainly set a poor tone for first time customers……that part of the operation does need improvement.

The infield Terminal and resulting bus ride is a GTAA thing. It is their solution for the next 2 years while the International pier gets built. All International flights that don't use T3 must gate there. ( USA is T2) There are currently no gates at T1 anywhere near Customs and certainly none where you can segregate the arriving pax till they clear Customs. Whether that will change before the international pier is finished is anyone's guess.

Archived