Milton - Travellers Taxed too much

Kip Powick

I'm pretty sure we're all on the same page when it comes to lower fees, taxes, and rent being charged to the airlines and the aiport authorities (who are passing the cost onto the airlines and their customers). I know I'm all for it.

While the U.S. industry enjoys the benefits of subsidies and loan guarantees worth more than $30 billion US rolled out in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, airlines north of the border are struggling to compete, Milton told a symposium on helping Canada compete in the global economy.

Struggling to compete? Competition is alive and well Mr. Milton.

Yes he has, to no avail.

What Clive has never asked for or supported is help from the government in relation to bailouts or guaranteed loans for airlines. What if Air Canada recieved "compensation" from the government equal to what its US counterparts recieved? That money would have only acted as a temporary band-aid for a bleeding wound. You'd still have found your poorly managed, inefficient airline in CCAA.

Competition is as fierce as it has been for years now, you can't deny that. Two years ago Westjet wasn't even in eastern Canada in the capacity it is today and Jetsgo wasn't even an airline. Again, I'm all for lower fees/taxes/rent for airlines and airport authorities, but what does that and government bailouts have to do with competition?

Why do you insist on making these enormous leaps of logic? Air Canada is not asking for government money. It's complaining about fees and taxes, the lowering of which would benefit the entire industry, Westjet included. Is this so hard to understand?

Guest M. McRae

Talking about Loan Guarantees.....

WestJet Announces Completion of Financing for Next Eleven Aircraft

This loan will be drawn in Canadian dollars in separate instalments with 12-year terms for each new aircraft. The 11 aircraft are part of WestJet´s current Boeing Agreement for 39 Next-Generation 737-700 aircraft, of which 15 were delivered between October 2002 and December 2003 with Ex-Im supported loan guarantees. Additionally, WestJet has received a preliminary commitment from Ex-Im for loan guarantees to support the acquisition of the remaining 13 Boeing 737-700 aircraft the airline has committed to purchase in 2005 and early 2006.

Under the Facility, WestJet has the ability to fix interest rates in advance of delivery dates, allowing WestJet to benefit from today´s low interest rate environment. In addition, WestJet has arranged a US $180 million foreign exchange facility, which allows WestJet to lock the foreign exchange rate up to six months in advance of each aircraft delivery.

Sandy Campbell, WestJet´s Senior Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer, commented: "Today´s announcement of financing with these banking partners for the purchase of 11 new Boeing Next-Generation aircraft builds upon our strong balance sheet as we have again secured lower-cost financing through loan guarantees from the Ex-Im Bank. Our financing agreement also allows us to manage our risks, as financing for these aircraft acquisitions is in Canadian dollars, and we have the ability to lock in foreign exchange and interest rates at a period when both are at favourable levels."

The Export-Import Bank supports the financing of U.S. goods and services, turning export opportunities into real transactions, maintaining and creating more U.S. jobs. We assume credit and country risks the private sector is unable or unwilling to accept.

Did the airlines have to apply for it? I don't know how that works but I do know WJ recieved a small amount of compensation, yes. The US carriers have gotten significantly more compensation, not only for 9/11 but for SARS as well at the request of the airlines.

I think the loan guarantees mentioned were for financial help from the government, not for aircract financing, Malcolm. There's a difference don't you think?

In the case of US Airways, a loan has been guaranteed by the government when certain goals have been met (i.e. profits). If those goals are not met, the loan will be turned down. I don't know how many or for what purposes these loans are being given out for, but they're apparently there and being provided for the major US carriers.

Guest M. McRae

In short yes:

All eligible claimants must have completed and submitted a Compensation Claim Form and the Representation, Warranty, Undertaking and Acknowledgement Form.

Guest M. McRae

Financial help is financial help ....whether for paying exisiting bills or new bills (buying new aircraft). However I was responding to your "What Clive has never asked for or supported is help from the government in relation to bailouts or guaranteed loans for airlines." (6) :)

If memory serves me right, each operator had to submit an application, and the size of the compensation was determined from the info provided, I can't open Malcolm's link to confirm this.

Brett

Archived