Staying the Course

SkyBlazer

"stay the course"

We havce all heard this statement, usually in terms or times where we are questioning our direction its meaning purpose or rationale.

I was speaking with a few fellow Jazzer's and discussing how over the last say 4 years we have all had new opportunities develop with other airlines.

Of course all being employed with the &%$@! child of the mother ship and admittedly enjoying a preety good life style we had all generally become fat dumb and happy...

Our 'course' was to ride out the regionals and hopefully flow to the mainline, or at the very worst enjoy a long and stable career at the regionals.

We watched as freinds bailed, jumped ship to go to places like; canjet, westjet (still a smaller company) jetsgo, canadian north etc...

But no we were bound and determined to stay the course....

here we are today our company in CCRA, public opinion leaning towards despising our very brand, competition growing remarkably well, and we are no longer just 'staying the course' but enividibly just drifting along something that might resemble a track line.

One's lot in life, is nothing more that a random group of descisions ....go not go, stay, leave or not leave, risk or not risk...

Amazing.

Someone once told me, it isnt the 'now' its the whole journey....

Lets hope regardless of where we presently sit at the end, the journey will be kind to us all.

SB

Skyblazer:

"One's lot in life, is nothing more that a random group of descisions ....go not go, stay, leave or not leave, risk or not risk... "

I disagree. One's lot in life is determined by very specific decisions being indivually made in response to random curcumstances.

This is where you "stay the course". If you are able to establish a clear set of principles for your life's goals and desires you can apply them to pretty much any situation where a decision needs to be made.

In other words I think that our destiny is determined by the choices we make.

If you are a fatalist/defeatist, your course in life will reflect your weak decisions which of course will only serve to further support your perspective.

If you think that you have become fat dumb and happy then I suggest you get off the pot and get something done!

Choose to make a difference. Choose to do good. Choose to do the right thing!

Nothing random about that.

GTFA

GTFA

I think we are making the same point, I was not implying that the decisions made were in fact random, but as I mentioned made with the intent to 'stay the course'

I gues better said that our careers are therefore based on the luck or events that take place after we make those descisions...

my jist was to illude to the fact that despite the continual rivalry here on this forum, that no pilot is better than any other based on his or her uniform, but that where we are are based on chance luck and timing.

If you truly believe that you are superior because maybe your on a heavy or your at westjet or perhaps mainline then I disagree...

and again point to chance and luck being on your side.

(i dont believe that you are implying this though.)

I also will argue that those of us that stayed at jazz and remain doing so are no less of descision makers than anyone else...

(you illuded to weak descisions)

perhaps we are talking about the same thing here?

And no I am not a fatalist nor negative at all, yesterdays super hero may easily be tommorrows zero....yesterdays f/o may be your captain tommorrow....

things can change very quickly,

I was just making a commentary on how funny this whole aviation gig is.

thats all.

comments?

SB

Guest ClearRime

I hear you brother. This industry seems like a big game of chance. I don't think anyone really knows what will be the full effect of the decisions we make until it's too late.

I never thought I would regret leaving Georgian for AO. But now I feel like I should have had my head examined.

Making 60K on the Beech would have been alot easier to take than 20K? I'll be getting from Home Depot (which is were I be headed once King Martin kicks me off the dole).

I believe my future at Jazz is dead. It might actually be easier to give up now and not look back than to sit a this computer everyday waiting for the "good news" to arrive. I don't think it will. Not for anyone hired after '00?

Oh well, it was kind of fun being pilot and all.

Ok, for the sake of discussion only, with no inference of judgment whatsoever:

You said:

I think we are making the same point, I was not implying that the decisions made were in fact random, but as I mentioned made with the intent to 'stay the course'

>>This can be tricky too in that there are so many “courses” to choose.

I gues better said that our careers are therefore based on the luck or events that take place after we make those descisions...

>>I think that there may be two elements of luck here. The first one being the opportunity presented and the second one being whether or not events continue in such a way that your decision can still be seen as the best for you.

my jist was to illude to the fact that despite the continual rivalry here on this forum, that no pilot is better than any other based on his or her uniform, but that where we are are based on chance luck and timing.

>>Some pilots are definitely better than others. And in many cases a persons ability to take advantage of an opportunity may have been stumped by his lack of preparation for such an event. Motivation goes a loooong way.

If you truly believe that you are superior because maybe your on a heavy or your at westjet or perhaps mainline then I disagree...

and again point to chance and luck being on your side.

(i dont believe that you are implying this though.)

>> I think that the only people who can say they are lucky are those who are done, retired and still living. So many have seen the big happy jet jobs or their comfy little commuter careers get squashed. So many have retired from hefty paycheques only to find that they have developed some weird kind of cancer that can only be attributed to high altitude exposure. Etc. etc. Luck is also subjective.

I also will argue that those of us that stayed at jazz and remain doing so are no less of descision makers than anyone else...

(you illuded to weak descisions)

>> A weak decision is one that is made without conviction.

perhaps we are talking about the same thing here?

>>Probably.

And no I am not a fatalist nor negative at all, yesterdays super hero may easily be tommorrows zero....yesterdays f/o may be your captain tommorrow....

things can change very quickly,

I was just making a commentary on how funny this whole aviation gig is.

>> No S@#$%

thats all.

comments?

>> There you go!

Anyone else got any good theories???

Archived