Lou Turpin and the GTAA

Guest George

I have a well placed source who was discussin the attitude of the GTAA and their senior management.

When the airlines complain about fees and other costs escalating, the GTAA senior executive seems to think that that's the airline's problem. Apparently these exorbitant fees are the cost of doing business in Toronto, and if you don't like it, leave. The attitude goes on to believe that airlines come and airlines go, but the GTAA will always be there.

So that's where the attitude of the GTAA is coming from.

Believe it or not.

Guest Airmail

The GTAA is amongst the most contemptuous organizations around. These people don't feel that their biggest customers, namely the airlines, should factor in their decision-making.

In fact, if you complain, such as AC did a few years back, you suddenly find your flights diverted to YHM and curfews enforced to the second.

The problem is that this beast was created by none other than David Collenette, Doug Young and the brilliant minds at...you guessed it! Transport Canada!

Unfortunately, if AC complained in the media about high GTAA fees as they have in the past, they are labled as whinners so it's great that IATA is doing so.

It shows not only in how they treat the airlines, but also how they treat the concessions.

Just over the last two months in T-2 alone, the Body Shop, Battery Plus, and (most importantly) the L.C.B.O. outlet have closed up shop. From talking to acquaintances that had worked there, it was a combination of being charged high rents, plus a percentage of sales, and in the case of the LCBO, being forced to have GTAA hacks bring the product in, that have broken the camel's back.

Turpin don't give a Rat's A$$!!!!!

The GTAA may be non-profit, but they have a never ending supply of new toys and uniforms for their employees.

Time to repatriat the institution,,,

Doncha Think???

Rgds...

Iceman

Guest Airmail

Collenette is not going to do it. He is simply:

a) too stupid

B) too lazy

c) too focused on Via Rail, that other "great" institution

d) all of the above

But now this is becoming an international scandal/embarassment with some of the world's largest airlines singling out YYZ as the worst in class.

Guest kevbert

I don't just believe it - I know so. I too have a "well placed source" involved in the construction of Tnew who has called the GTAA management among the worst in the world.

If I were on the inside of the GTAA I would be having puppies right now, if I wasn't sitting in my own happy oblivion. My customers are threatening to reduce my revenue, my operating cash flow is taking a hit, I'm spending another $400M+ on construction this year, and I have $189M in the bank. Add on top a large amount of debt due in 2005 ($409M) and I wonder how many financial institutions are "clamouring to buy" another GTAA debt when I need it in early Q1/04?

Archived