For Mitch

Guest neo

Mitch,

All this talk of wine can get a little... overbearing, doncha think? ;)

I know you like rum, specifically Appleton's, and god knows I don't fool with a man's favorite drink. But I couldn't sleep soundly if I didn't tell you about a rum that I think you would enjoy: Saint James from Martinique.

I found myself on Martinique about 20 years ago under circumstances that are rather hazy now. They pour an absolutely tequila-like beverage there called a Punch Blanc; the island's white rum, with a thick slice of lemon in the bottom of the glass, with perhaps a little sugar over it. Sacrement!

Saint James makes a white, amber, and a dark rum. I was in Montreal last summer and son of gun if a liquor store there didn't carry the amber. Ambrosia, straight up.

If you know a YUL'er going to Martinique this winter, ask 'em to get you a bottle. You won't regret it.

Best,

neo

Got ya... Saint James Amber from Martinique. I'll make a point of looking for it. Thanks.

I must say that all that talk of fine wines has me looking forward to experiencing some of those lovely examples... My better half has been encouraging me to save the rum for ....occasions, and try wine.

I know very little about wine except that I can't stand any sweetness in wine, and there's not too many white wines I've tried and thought I'd buy again. But I can't name any wine's I've found a preference for...

Maybe it's time for me to try some field studies? :D

Cheers, (d) ;)

Archived