More on Kids

buzz

Given that the thread that started all this referenced a media snippet that told of an even split in opinion on mild corporal "guidance", I'm sure we won't see anyone convincing anyone else out there that they have all the answers. I think we could all agree that we have seen examples, both good and bad, of either school of thought.

Personally (and my spouse shares this view), a little "gentle encouragement" early on saves alot of crap from your kid later. We have a couple of teens and another in kindergarden, and have smart, outgoing, confident offspring that don't just blow us off (well, most of the time).

I've seen too many examples of repeated threats, cajoling and negotiating falling on deaf ears because the child knows there is nothing backing up the bluster. Later in life this conditioning sets the prodigy up for a few hard lessons in a less forgiving environment.

Not trying to change anyone's point of view, just chipping in with my two-bits worth.

Sorry, still can't add to threads, I'd have added to Kip's piece below otherwise. And note, neo, I haven't quoted anyone here for dissection, just adding my own thoughts.

buzz

So I should put away my scalpel?

Lighten up, dude. If you post here, you'll get quoted some day. Just ask the Toronto Star. :)

neo

Neo, I like what you're saying. I'm not comfortable defending corporal punishment for children, largely because I agree that in most cases, there is a better way... Also because there are far too many parents who take it too far.

Your "lazy and thoughtless" comment got me though, since I think it's an unfair blanket statement. I only used a personal example to illustrate that point. The example I used was one case where I believe the action was justified and had the desired result, without, I believe, any negative consequence. (I've been reminded that I had forgotten one more detail... our son was with her in a stroller, which helped to tie her hands.)

I also don't like the UN telling us what we should and should not do in that regard.

Dealing with child abuse is hard enough without getting confused about what is abuse, and what is reasonable parental force...

A law that went too far would not help matters in my opinion. Nor would it be likely to stick for long... or at least it's enforcement would likely be a very subjective matter, thus confusing even more the line between abuse and reasonable force.

There are plenty of good parents who don't agree with "sparing the rod", so to speak. I don't believe government has any right to tell them they're wrong, and their parents were wrong, and so on... Through education we can gradually change methods of discipline and punishment, and in the mean while maintain a better focus on identifying true child abuse.

Or so it occurs to me at the moment. :)

Cheers,

Mitch

Well, you have one very persuasive argument on your side, Mitch. MY parents were hard core disciplinarian, old-school parents, only to prepared to pull out the cane, belt or whatever. And look at me! I turned out fantastic!

Maybe I need to rethink my own argument? ;) ;) ;)

neo

Archived