Is it worth the try?

Guest RKM

After losing my IT position (company retreated back to the US) I have decided to follow my passion but am a tad hesitant because of the market conditions. So I am asking those of you in the business, at this time is it worth trying to pursue a career in aviation? I personally would love to fly for a smaller carrier and just turned 45 with 1000 T.T., group 1 instrument rating. IT just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

If you want a job that pays less than $ 30,000 a year and decreasing steadily, an industry where management has absolutely no respect for what you know & do, and where you are treated worse than the local janitor .......go for it....you would do better working at Mc'Donalds than getting involved in Aviation full time at this juncture.

It all depends on your expectations going in. Things certainly haven't been as I had expected/wished them to be when I started. Having said that, I still like what I do and that counts for alot. IMHO.

Aviation is no different, in many respects, than other industries; top management pay increasing and worker bees pay flatlining or decreasing.

We may not all end up as $250K 747 Skippers

:-( but most will still earn an above average wage. Sad perhaps, but true.

Guest righthandman

Well your timing is lousy (I realise it's not your fault), but I followed my dreams many years ago and perserverance (spelling??) paid off and I got into the "big times" for a while anyway. I am now an unemployed pilot again. I stuck it out though and finally got some jet time fairly late in life, and I am sure glad I kept trying because it was fun while it lasted. (Was with Royal/C3)

These days it seems to be turning into a bit of a "joe job" but you still can't beat the view.

But my final answer to you is you gotta have a passion in life otherwise it's not worth living, your just taking up space. So if flying does it for you, by all means go for it.

Archived