Jump Seat

UpperDeck

Quick question... As late as July 30th, it was reasonably clear that AC jumpseats are limited to active FA's and AC/Jazz pilots and Inspectors (subject to Capt. discretion.)Have there been any revision to the applicable CARs?

It appears that some pilots are allowing "other airline" pilots (Air Jamaica?) jumpseat privileges AND when seats are available in "J", asking cabin crew to give them a seat. How are these "guests" getting onto the aircraft? I know it's the Capt.'s cockpit but it's AC's aircraft and though we are all aware of security lapses, I'm not sure that "commander privileges" should subsume the function and responsibility of security personnel. The directives are intended to afford some protection to back-end as well as front-end employees not to mention the passengers.

Guest Panama Jack

ACPA has a jumpseat guy-- I believe it is still Brian Boucher. He has the up-to-date info and needs to know of any violations and potential misunderstandings so that it can be addressed. You'd want him to do so vs. Air Canada or Transport.

Guest cancommuter

I assume you are referring to other airline employees in the actual cockpit j/s. If they sit in the back (J,Y) and are on the list it's not an issue - more security too.

Guest ACsidestick

UpperDeck, You are completely out of the loop and making an "AirCanada Bash" for nothing,

I hope you retract your post, as many lazy reporters read posts like yours and seek to do us harm with them.

Air Canada has reciprocal jumpseat agreements with most major airlines in the world. These agreements did not stop because of 9/11, only how they are done.

If an Air Jamaica pilot wishes to exercise jumpseat privledge, he cannot EVER be admitted to the flightdeck. He can only be boarded if a seat is available in the back. He is "jumpseating" because his passage is free - No service charge.

During your post, you have called into question the Captain's judgement and authority, and Air Canada's security process, all for nothing.

Remove your slanderous post please.

Admission to Flight Deck

705.27 (1) Where a Department of Transport air carrier inspector presents an official identity card to the pilot-in-command of an aircraft, the pilot-in-command shall give the inspector free and uninterrupted access to the flight deck of the aircraft.

(2) An air operator and the pilot-in-command shall make available for the use of the air carrier inspector the observer seat most suitable to perform the inspector's duties, as determined by the inspector.

(3) No person shall be admitted to the flight deck of an aeroplane other than

(amended 2002/03/21; previous version)

(a ) a flight crew member;

(b ) a crew member performing their duties;

(c ) an inspector referred to in subsection (1);

(d ) in accordance with the procedures specified in the company operations manual,

(i) an employee of the air operator who is not a crew member performing their duties, and

(ii) a pilot, flight engineer or flight attendant employed by a wholly owned subsidiary or a code share partner of the air operator; and

(e) a person who has expertise related to the aeroplane, its equipment or its crew members and who is required to be in the flight deck to provide a service to the air operator.

(4) The air operator shall verify

(a ) in the case of a person referred to in paragraph (3)(d ) or (e ), the identity of the person by means of a personal photo identification issued by the air operator, its wholly owned subsidiary, its code share partner or a foreign government or a restricted area pass as defined in the Canadian Aviation Security Regulations, and

(b ) in the case of a person referred to in paragraph (3)(d ), the fact that

(i) the person is currently employed by the air operator, or by a wholly owned subsidiary or code share partner of the air operator; and

(ii) no seat is available for the person in the passenger compartment.

(5) No person referred to in paragraph (3)(d ), except an employee of the air operator who is undergoing the aircraft cockpit familiarization required for the performance of their duties, shall be admitted to the flight deck if a seat is available in the passenger compartment.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/REGSERV/CARAC/CARS/cars/705e.htm#705_27

Hi guys, I have jumpseated in the past with AC from Caribbean Star who does have an agreement with AC in accordance with Captain Grant Gillan. As per the agreement, the jumpseat rider obtains a jumpseat pass from the Captain only to sit in the back (Y or J class) provided space is available. Not in the actual jumpseat. Basically, he is at the bottom of the cons list.

For those Captains who helped me in the past to get home to Canada to see the family, thank you so much!! Your help has gone a long way, more than you'll ever know. It was very much appreciated. Hopefully one day, I can pass on the privelege to other fellow stranded pilots.

Guest vrefplus5

Amen Skyfox. I'm ex C3/Royal and I too, work in the Caribbean and am eternally grateful to all the Air Canada Captains who have issued me FD passes to return home to YYZ on days off. Without their generosity it would be impossible for me to commute home and be with family. They've all been super and real gentlemen in allowing me the privilege.

Guest cancommuter

I second that. The AC j/s policy is now common knowledge with all gate agents and pilots. I've had nothing but great experiences on my weekly commute.

Archived