Flashback, and Great airplanes

Mitch Cronin

Interesting photo of a period in our past ...

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/362304/M/

The next gate over could have had a WD 10 on it... That would have made an awesome picture, with the 3 of them together.

..and another that does a good job of illustrating the prep work necessary to remove a #2 engine... ...never thought I'd say this, but I even miss doing that!

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/331312/L/

I think thats a/c 915... if so, that's a good place for that particular airplane!

I'll get corrected here if I'm wrong I think, and it's entirely possible I'm off by a bit, but in about 87 or 88 PWA bought CP after each had acquired a couple others, (including EPA and Nordair), and they formed, collectively, Canadian Airlines. Then in 89 (?) PWA Corp, owner of Canadian Airlines, bought Wardair and vowed initially to run them as seperate airlines... which lasted close to the blink of an eye, before they merged those two as well.

Now for the corrections....?

Guest M. McRae

Mitch: not bad for a guy who is short on sleep. Here is what one of the sites has to say on the subject.

Canadian Airlines

CANADA - C

ICAO CODE: CDN 018

CALLSIGN: Canadian

CP Air

CANADA - CF / C

CP Air, formed as Canadian Pacific Airlines in 1942, began operations with Canadair C4 Argonauts and then DC6s. In 1958 the airline replaced these types with Bristol Britannia turboprops.

It entered the Jet Age in 1961 with the arrival of three Douglas DC8s, which became the fleet standard for the 1960s and early 1970s with DC8-40s and DC8-63s. The DC8-63 stretched jets were introduced in the colourful orange/red livery which covered the fusalage top and fin with the fusalage underside in silver.

Boeing 727s and 737s were used for non-transatlantic routes. From 1979 DC10-30s were used on the Gatwick route alongside Boeing 747-200s.

CP Air 'merged' along with many other airlines in Canada to form Canadian International Airlines.

Canadian Airlines International began in 1988 after takeovers and mergers between a number of smaller Canadian Airlines (Canadian Pacific Airlines/CP Air, Pacific Western Airlines, Nordair, Eastern Provincial Airways).

After Canadian Airlines was formed it took over Wardair Canada in 1989 as a move to be stronger in the face of Air Canada. Wardair's Boeing 747-200s and DC10-30s became part of the Canadian fleet as did Wardair's and Pacific Western's Boeing 737-200 fleets giving Canadian a 737 fleet size of almost 50 jets.

From 1990 Boeing 747-400s were introduced along with Airbus A320s, the Boeing 767-300 being introduced two years before. American Airlines acquired a 33 percent interest in Canadian in 1995.

Canadian North is a division of Canadian Airlines serving the Canadian northern territories.

FLEET: Boeing 747-400, Boeing 767-300ER, DC-10-30, Boeing 737-200, Airbus A320.

DESTINATIONS: Auckland, Bangkok, Beijing, Boston, Buenos Aires, Hong Kong, Honolulu, Ho Chi Minh City, Kuala Lumpur, London, Los Angeles, Manila, Melbourne, Mexico, Nagoya, Nadi, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, Rome, San Francisco, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Sydney, Taipei, Tokyo,Washington, with domestic and US cities served.

http://airlines.afriqonline.com/airlines/251.htm

"Wardair's Boeing 747-200s and DC10-30s became part of the Canadian fleet as did Wardair's and Pacific Western's Boeing 737-200 fleet"

Hey, I can't be that sleepy! If we'd had any T-Rex's I'm sure I would've remembered that.

:D

Guest M. McRae

If you men Wardair, you are quite right....they never did have any B7373 but of course they had a couple of Airbus products that now belong to the Canadian Forces......

Guest M. McRae

If you mean Wardair, you are quite right....they never did have any B7373 but of course they had a couple of Airbus products that now belong to the Canadian Forces......

Aye, that we did... And they're fine machines!

I think I've said this before, but it still amazes me when I think of what it really means... When I started, we had all of 7 airplanes. 3 DC-10's and 4 747's (2 100's with the old Pratt JT9's, and 2 -200's with CF6-50's) Whenever I told anyone that, they wouldn't believe me! " No, Wardair is a world renowned airline, you just haven't seen them all" (that's a quote from my dad!)

We was gooood. :D

Guest M. McRae

Yes you were but speaking as an old Canadian Pacific Airlines type, we were better ;)

Of course I would bet that the folks from Nordair, EPA, Transair, PWA etc. feel the same way. :)

Archived