Nav Canada question

Guest q650

Not trying to stir the pot, just a question and looking for facts. Does anyone have any financial data, i.e: how much of the yearly Nav Canada Budget is allocated for travel expenses by their employees? Who at Nav Canada decides whether a VP or manager can blow $$$$ on a business trip? Any parameters? Non-essential, essential etc??

q650

Say Altitude...did I hit a nerve with another pointed NavCan question? You reveal more about who you are simply by your emotional level.

My post only contained a few questions, if you don't have the answer that's fine.

I would hazard a guess that any bussiness trip by a Nav Canada employee is governed by the same set of rules as any one employed by the Federal gov't. Travel is very specifically governed by the treasury board for any one in the public service commission.

Having said that travel expenses are very tightly controlled and no "extravagant" expenditures are allowed.

Fair enough, sounds like generic type corporate policy. Since NavCan is not-for-profit and the public pays through user fees/taxes is that kind of financial data avilable or is it kept internal?

Guest BillyBigToe

"Not trying to stir the pot"...

"Who at Nav Canada decides whether a VP or manager can blow $$$$ on a business trip?"

Ya right,,, Not trying to stir the pot. Then what are you trying to do, write a story for the Toronto Star? If you want to throw mud in someone's face just do, don't start with such a lame and transparent disclamer. It just makes you look stupid.

Let me get a few lawyers to draft up a disclaimer then....geez.

seriously, dDidn't think this would be sooo touchy. Guess I'll have go through the Access to Information system.

Let me get a few lawyers to draft up a disclaimer then....geez.

Seriously, didn't think this would be such an irritating subject. Guess I'll have go through the Access to Information system.

That's a good question , not sure about Nav Canada but if it is similar to the rest of the government , requests can be made as per the access to information act.

The subject isn't irritating. It's the "Who at Nav Canada decides whether a VP or manager can blow $$$$ on a business trip?" comment that was the source. Just like the last time......you know the one I'm talking about - the cigar/scotch one? Looks like I'm not the only one who thought so....

And to answer your question, I don't work for NavCanada and I'm not in management - just a regular ole' line driver.

Guest MikePapaKilo

Navcan is not a crown corp, so I don't believe the access to information act applies to it as a private company.

Curious as to why one needs/wants to know this. It seems somewhat like asking Canadian Utilities/ATCO gas in Alberta how their employees and execs are supported expense wise. Navcan may tell you that it's none of your business - so good luck !

However, you will probably find that when the ATC system left government, the general travel / expense rules - a per deim of about $55.00 for breakfast lunch dinner and incidentals - would have been adopted.

The question we all have is: what is it that's got your goat ?

MPKurious

Fair question MPK. Apparantly there is an excessively high travel occurence and consequently high expense cost, in general, for a large number of NC managers, supervisors across Canada. Was just curious, once again, just to get that $ number in the annual budget that's all. No mud slinging, no witch hunt - just want to see if it was budgeted and if so: how much.

Guest MikePapaKIlo

Q

Public does not pay through "user fees". The airline or aircraft operator, is directly charged for ANS use per flight. The airline may then "recover" this cost through the addition of a fee to the ticket. It may be said that on some routes the "fee" that the airline charges the pax may generate a small amount in excess of the actual ANS charge, thus making some degree of profit PER TRIP.

On a typical YYZ-YOW -320 flight that is full, ACA's fee charged to the passenger results in an amount collected that is at least 20% higher than the cost of ANS for the individual flight. Ka-ching !$$! Go figure.

Glad to be paying by the day...

MPK

Guest Patrick Bergen

I think the idea of thinking of government charges as a source of additional profit for the airline is ridiculous. The lower the overall cost of a ticket the more people will fly. The government has been jacking costs to try to offset the reduction in airline travel. Clearly there is no interest by the government in a healthy industry.

"The government has been jacking costs to try to offset the reduction in airline travel."

Reductio ad absurdem. I wonder if, when the last person who can afford to fly in Canada, (Gerry Schwartz in his Gulfstream 101), goes from coast to coast, from Newf to Lotus land, the fees charged will be such as to cover the cost for the entire air traffic control system still in existence for this one remaining flight?

MPK,

It's a little hard to use the Tomato/Tomatoe analogy in print, but it's basically the same. Do you really think that in the last three years Air Canada, or any other carrier has made money off the Nav Canada fees? The fewer flights we have, due to lower pax loads and demand always end up with a Nav Canada increase. I think I'd like to start a not-for-profit buisness if you are allowed to charge whatever you want carte blanche.

Archived