WestJet and Transat Enter into Charter Partne

Guest M. McRae

Actually it is probably the inability of everyone involved to handle huge departments and operations.......I've always found large companies inherently have both a problem of accountability and one of anonymity (you're just a number or it's not my job).......You can probably think of a few yourself.......

I know several Southwest employees....to a man they all say the same thing.....although it is still a good company to work for....it was much better when they were smaller.......

Guest windshear

Your suggestion was profit was directly correlated to size.

"no, you're profitable because you're smaller"

The debate was not whether or not we'd be happier with a smaller company. I guess we all want to be teenagers again.

Y'know it is reallyhard for me to find fault with the buisness plan of a company thathas been profitable for three decades. You guys can't even string together three quarters and you are slagging them b/c the ratios are different than they used to be? maybe if you were more like LUV you would be in the black.

Guest windshear

Yes, but Southwest posted one of the highest profit margins in the industry in 2000. I suppose Sept. 11, the tech industry meltdown, the security hassle (and the fact that Southwest still had, at the time, a stage length under 500 miles), high fuel prices, dumping of capacity as the majors go into bankruptcy, etc... all had no effect on their results. MEANWHILE, other airlines are going Chapter 11. If their profits have dropped off in a relative sense to where they were even 3 years ago, it wasn't because of size. Let's be clear, Southwest still has one of the lowest cost structures in this industry. The fundamentals of Southwest have not changed. When the majors re-structure or disappear altogether, Southwest will once again regain their industry leading profit margins. Why? Because they have one of the lowest cost structures in the business and in fact have industry leading profit margins today, even if the "ratios" are not as good, they are among the best.

You can point at all kinds of signals that aren't there. That will continue to foster a fundamental misunderstanding of this industry.

Small does not equal profit (ask Greyhound, Canjet I, Vistajet, Intair, Royal, Canada 3000, Astoria, Roots etc...) just as large does not equal losses.

Is that what is called a "white elephant"?

Guest floatrr

They might be preparing, as C3 and Royal were. I think West Jet is doing just fine on their own. Why would they take on anything to do with another carrier?

Guest floatrr

I see what you are saying. But I don't think your company will take on any real financial responsibility of another airline,do you?

Guest Patrick Bergen

Have to add my enjoyment of rant. Brilliant. All should read this prior to writing retort, unless you can beat it, don't bother.

Do you think anyone noticed, that the one day AC was shut down during the black out caused major chaos at every major airport in the country????

Now just imagine if the shut down was permanent :( It's true someone would eventually fill the gap , but it would take months if not years. unless we sold out to our southern neighbors.

B

Guest Monkeyfish

"AC is the evil empire"

Actually this was drilled into me during 2 years at AC Jazz not once at Westjet.

Monkeyfish

Archived