AC CSA's

DEFCON

A previous thread dealt with AC CSA’s.

Various union members (posters) seem to find it fair to criticize Gary Fane for taking a proactive approach in addressing the issue of the “helpful manager”. I believe that regardless of affiliation, all union members would hope and expect their executive to take such a stand under similar circumstances. AC’s pathetic corporate performance will not be enhanced by allowing a contractual circus.

Over the years I too have been the victim of surly CSA handling. More importantly, I’ve watched many a helpless hapless traveller take a beating at the hand of a disgruntled CSA.

One of management’s roles is to provide a positive efficient structure rather than excuses for poor performance. As I sit and speculate on AC’s future or lack thereof several issues for improvement come to mind and I’ll suggest one here. By gender CSA’s appear to be predominantly female and for the most part they’re rather senior by age at least. IMO, people in general and women in particular seem to develop an “attitude” of sorts (I’m not going to take anyone’s crap anymore) as they age. Pearson seems to be the locale of greatest tribulation when it comes to dealing with CSA’s or from another perspective, the larger the airport, the worse the attitude. It’s my understanding that CSA’s were required to work six on, three off prior to CCAA and now are working a five and two schedule.

IMHO working out of Pearson is a royal pain in the butt for all concerned. Just the seemingly simple task of getting to and from work in that environment can generate a high level of stress. When this factor is added to the normal pax / corp & irop generated tribulations not to mention an individuals personal strife, behavioural problems such as those we’ve all witnessed are almost a certainty.

Suggestion: Why not institute a four on three off schedule and in turn reduce the overall number of trips an individual needs to make to hell and back every week?

Guest JakeYYZ

:)A flex shift certainly would improve morale, and in most instances, provide better coverage. This last time around, a 5x2 was imposed. :)

SOURCE: CAW 2002 - For immediate release (Toronto: 12 Aug 03) - Air Canada agrees to re-do shifts

Two emergency union membership meetings were held in Toronto last Friday about the shift scheduling at Air Canada. Senior management was invited to attend the first part of each meeting. Kevin Howlett, Vice President of Labour Relations and Norbert Manager, Vice President of Airports attended the meeting and responded to members’ questions and complaints.

Both meetings lasted approximately 1½ hours at which the members clearly explained to management how angry they feel towards the employer about the staffing and shift scheduling. In particular they stressed how difficult it has become to perform their jobs properly.

The complaints included a concern that the company was acting irresponsibly and without consideration for their passengers. The membership indicated very strongly that the effect of all the layoffs means there is insufficient staffing to provide good customer service. Agents are overworked and cannot adequately meet all the duties assigned in the course of a shift.

In addition to the staffing, there is a major dissatisfaction with the shift scheduling. The shifts that the company implemented are considered to be bad shifts.

The management committed to going back to the former collective agreement language on developing shifts, which involves establishing a 5/2 work schedule with the ability of the union to develop compressed shifts, providing they match the company’s requirements.

The company agreed with the union to work on developing a new shift and that the company will not impose its biases on shifts of different lengths. Work will begin on these new shifts next week with a plan to implement them in September.

Last Thursday all the District Chairpersons from across the country met in Toronto to discuss the shifts problems and consider ways to respond and identify solutions.

Today the Bargaining Committee met with senior management to review the staffing numbers. The company says it is studying the situation carefully to analyze whether more staff is needed. So far they are not convinced this is the case, saying it’s only the second day of the new shift.

:sNo word yet on the progress of the new shifts.

Tsgas, here’s another lest we forget for ya:

Make yourself into a lamb and the wolves will eat you... Alexander Solzhenitsyn

One thing that continues to puzzle me over the years in this great airline is the way that a "Con" is handled. Now I'm not a CSA but if I were, next to the big buck paying regular fare passenger, I would do my BEST to deal and help my fellow employees instead of findind ways to "blow them off" when they ask for help. I guess the encounters I have had over the years were just CSA's that don't ever travel on a pass and don't ever need help with anything. What say the rest of you out there????? (ps. let's leave station names out of this one)

The CSA's control their little empire. Some are great others are not. You're right on on the "con" travel issue. A pilot ride is often video taped and in any case our performance and behavior is disected in the ride / check post mortem. We have voice recorders and data recorders monitoring us and they can be used to measure your performance.

IMO, someone armed with a spy cam and voice recorder should be used subversively to weed out those CSA's that give our company a bad name.

Guest JakeYYZ

I agree. But, how to do it is the problem.

Calls are routinely monitored in res. “for training purposes”.

However, the ‘caller’ needs to be informed that the call “may be recorded”.

How you might go about doing that in an AP environment, I’m not sure.

Archived