The term, "Pulling the Pin"?

Mitch Cronin

I know it's used as a term for retiring, but I'm wondering how it got to be so? Anyone know?? I'm guessing it's a reference to pulling a pin on a grenade? But maybe it's a reference to pulling some other kind of pin?... such that something drops... or??

Anyone?

Guest Bugsy G Darren

I once read that the term "Pulling the Pin" reffered to pulling the pin on a parachute, the article reasoned that one travels through life so quickly and then retirement comes and it slows to a standstill. I think thats how the article read

Guest M. McRae

Here is another explanation re the origin of the term. I bet there are others ...... :)

Seems that it might have originated on the railroad thus predating the "Mills" bomb (grenade) and of course the parachute (at least the one that was not tether operated).

On the end of an engine and on the ends of all cars, both passenger and freight, are the couplers, used to link them to each other. When this takes place, a pin automatically falls in between the couplers to prevent them from pulling apart. When cars have to be uncoupled, a lever type handle is pulled, forcing the pin out, thus the phrase, "Pulling the pin."

Interesting Malcolm... I have a book called "Brewers Dictionary of Phrase & Fable" that answers many of those sorts of questions, but there was nothing about that one in it... Mine is an older edition (1981), maybe in later editions??

Cheers,

Mitch

I always thought it referred to the pin in an ejection seat... if it's in you can't get out. "Time to pull the pin" made sense to me, but so do the other explanations.

Drew

Mitch

Another version goes back to the days of horse drawn wagons, at the end of the day the pin was pulled from the double trees thus disconnecting the horses from the pole, So when one "Pulled the pin" work was done.

Brett

Archived