Thanks for frickin' NUTHIN'!!

Guest leftbase

Guest leftbase

To the YVR CSR, whom my family (sister, brother-in-law, three children under 7) had the misfortune to deal with this afternoon...(AC6322, YYJ-YVR-YWG, Jazz/Zip/whatever)

It's bad enough that at present (1500 PST, original sked 1220 PST) they're stuck in YVR as the glorious Zip -200 is mechanical for 2.5 hours and counting...hey these things happen, it's not like there's any other AC flights out of YVR, y'know, between AC/Tango/Zip/Jazz....but that isn't my main point.

Apparently, my bro-in-law had the temerity to ask an AC CSR if their bags would be checked through from the YYJ leg. In her best sarcastic sing-song voice, she says, "Well, why don't we just turn our ticket over...and read the sticky label...what does it say, hmm? You see? It says YYJ-YVR-YWG!" My brother in law, nobody's fool, says, "Yes, I realize that's the routing, but it doesn't specifically say if they're transferred, so I just thought I'd doublecheck!"

GAWD what a patronizing, rhymes-with-witch! I only include the thumbnail version, but just listening to him describe it on the phone made me want to strangle her. Even to seasoned travellers, (which these folks aren't, really), airport codes and nomenclature don't always make sense...but where's the CIVILITY!!

Here's hoping that every nasty, over-the-hill, making-more-than-anyone-with-no-education-ever-deserved, AC agent gets shown the door, AND SOON! Surely no one would shed ONE TEAR to see folks like that get hit with a cold blast of reality!

And if anyone can find a way to forward this post to the person mentioned, hey, fill yer boots.

Guest givemeabreak

And just another of numerous examples how many fat, lazy, 12 sandwich eatin', good for nuthin', trough feeding employees of Air Canada treat passengers (the bread and butter) because they are STUPID!!

Guest leftbase

Well...actually it wasn't really my intent to paint all employees with the same brush, but one day people such as my example HAVE TO REALIZE that that is what happens!

Please folks, just treat the travelling public the way you'd like to have your own family treated...

Guest leftbase

Well...actually it wasn't really my intent to paint all employees with the same brush, but one day people such as my example HAVE TO REALIZE that that is what happens!

Please folks, just treat the travelling public the way you'd like to have your own family treated... whomever that CSR was, she made a miserable situation for a young family, even unhappier...

I see that AC6322 is now proposing arrival at YWG for 2029...originally 1704. Yippee.

I'm sure that's not the answer I would give but a 3.5 hour delay, though unfortunate, hardly ranks as a terrible setback in life. I'm sure WJ has had a few three hour delays. Ditto Canjet and Southwest and all of the other discount airlines. That doesn't excuse the behaviour of the passenger agent, but the delay isn't exactly out of the ordinary in this industry.

Guest leftbase

Actually, I casually advised them to fly WJ, but they're trying to burn off their Aeroplan points.

dagger below, offers the somewhat philosophical, "a 3.5 hour delay, though unfortunate, hardly ranks as a terrible setback in life".

Uh. Thanks. Very helpful. Perhaps you could make that the tagline for a new ad campaign.

And yes, airplanes break at WJ. And SSV. And JetsGo. But that's just cherry-picking a statement. The real point, as I thought I made clear, was that some wonderful AC employee felt the need to pull major attitude, for reasons only she must know, and added just that special touch of nastiness to a difficult situation. I would literally fall down dead from surprise if I heard that a WJ gate agent had said that sort of thing. Not saying it NEVER happens, but from AC? Sorry - not so much surprised.

And then the ever-predictable, "Well, SSV was late, the cable companies are all just as obnoxious", etc, etc. Point at everyone else.As if that somehow makes it acceptable. What was that again about lowering of the bar?!

The truth of the matter is, ALL companies have employees who on occasion act like jackasses. But the thing that frequent flyers forget is this: even though this sort of treatment may be be extremely rare (hmm?!), for people like my relatives for whom travel is in itself a rare thing - it DOES colour their whole perception of a company! It just doesn't cut it to say, "well, it usually isn't like that"....they just won't come back to see if that's true.

To the Mitch Cronins, who don't seem afraid to confront what's wrong with the company and try to effect change, I salute you. And good luck.

Guest leftbase

Actually, I casually advised them to fly WJ, but they're trying to burn off their Aeroplan points.

dagger below, offers the somewhat philosophical, "a 3.5 hour delay, though unfortunate, hardly ranks as a terrible setback in life".

Uh. Thanks. Very helpful. Perhaps you could make that the tagline for a new ad campaign.

And yes, airplanes break at WJ. And SSV. And JetsGo. But that's just cherry-picking a statement. The real point, as I thought I made clear, was that some wonderful AC employee felt the need to pull major attitude, for reasons only she must know, and added just that special touch of nastiness to a difficult situation. I would literally fall down dead from surprise if I heard that a WJ gate agent had said that sort of thing. Not saying it NEVER happens, but from AC? Sorry - not so much surprised.

And then the ever-predictable, "Well, SSV was late, the cable companies are all just as obnoxious", etc, etc. Point at everyone else.As if that somehow makes it acceptable. What was that again about lowering of the bar?!

The truth of the matter is, ALL companies have employees who on occasion act like jackasses. But the thing that frequent flyers forget is this: even though this sort of treatment may be be extremely rare (hmm?!), for people like my relatives for whom travel is in itself a rare thing - it DOES colour their whole perception of a company! It just doesn't cut it to say, "well, it usually isn't like that"....they just won't come back to see if that's true.

To the Mitch Cronins, who don't seem afraid to confront what's wrong with the company and try to effect change, I salute you. And good luck.

Guest floatrr

If I ever saw or heard a fellow employee treat a customer that way, I would go to the very top with the story and personally see that person FRY for it! Totally uncalled for. I don't give a Rats A$$ how much stress they are under, you never treat a customer that way. Whoever you are I hope you are ashamed.

and that shows how selective information on isloated cases is meaningless.

Fact is there are line ups in YZ and UL these days, Heck we went from 40,ooo passenger to 75000/day. A Zip flight was delayed 3.5 hours and an agent was rude to one and probably many passengers BUT there are many more facts that are unstated.

This age of 24 hours news and instant internet rumor mills has created an impression of chaos in the world that I just don't think is really happening. Not at AC or in the world.

I too have been "processed" by the agent from hell at AC and other airlines. I too would love to see them gone. I love the Kiosks so you don't acutually have to deal with an AC agent. and yes this is a serious problem for AC, has been and continues to be.

There is a case of the grumpys out there too. The instant outrage/disgust one sees with even a minor delay is really a new behavior out there.

A story...., the other day on a 2 hour domestic flight from YZ we had a Mechancial detected 20 min prior to departure, half way through boarding. We ended up departing 3 hour late with an AC switch.

We all worked the crowd as best we could. I deplaned the passengers that were already on board and made a great PA. I went to the lounge and told the ones who hadn't boarded yet. We did everything right, from the agents, FAs, Pilots even DX and SOC and MTCE.

The response from some trouble makers in the crowd was literally boos and jeers, com'on what has happend to civility.

Guest Gino Under

So...no end to personal abuse? Stand there and take it, eh?

:(

Why? Cause AC painted themselves into a corner YOU think their PSAs should have limitless patience for all the sh*t and abuse???

I'd say that's a fairly unreasonable expectation on YOUR part, amigo.

My guess is, with all the short tempers out there that day, 'attacking' the PSAs for management decisions, one of 'em was bound to snap.

Gino Under

Guest floatrr

In the case above,(what I waws referring to) if you call asking a simple question abuse then you are in the WRONG business my freind! If you can't treat the customer with some dignity then quit. That doesn't mean put up with abuse.

Guest Gino Under

floatrr

It doesn't take much to over simplify these situations but in any event I'd have to agree with you. It would seem such a simple question wouldn't warrant the response it 'apparently' did.

However, it does seem to me that what we've read so far regarding this 'incident' is rather one sided. :o

I'm not saying the story as told so far is inaccurate or incorrect. I'm just saying there are two sides to the events leading up to these comments.

So, what about the other side?

It's probably safe to say that the passenger agent has a version of the days events, and in fairness to the PSA, we might want to consider what prompted such (as you say, uncalled for) sarcasm before we rush to judgement. I can't imagine this was her first encounter with an irate group of passengers. (and I certainly don't know if they were irate but I suspect they were)

I'm not naieve enough to think or even believe for a single instance that the customer is always right. That to me simply means you're unprepared to take on a legitimate confrontation with a customer when THEY ARE in the wrong. But that's a failure of the system on a totally different level. It certainly doesn't call for "attitude". I agree.

No one in the public contact forum, regardless of their role, needs to put up with endless abuse. That said, I'd be curious to know what prompted the agent's reaction as it did, because I'm sure there is always that 'straw that broke the camel's back'...but to summarily dismiss someone from their employment without a fair hearing?

I don't think so. (B)

Guest floatrr

"I can't imagine this was her first encounter with an irate group of passengers. "

Nothing was said in the original post about the brother in-law -being irate. He was simply asking a question about his bags. Do you honestly think that if that CSA worked for a certain non-union company that they would not be dealt with heavy handedly in the same situation. Bottom line is ,there is little or no consequence to the CSA in the case above weather they are found in the wrong or not. I believe that's why that sort of behavior occurs more often at some companies and not others. I like the old fashioned approach with irate customers. You kill em'with kindness. Smiley thing here.

Guest Gino Under

"kill em' with kindness"

You must be joking?

In the Low Cost era??

This is about your 'off with her head' attitude, not the poor bugger who got pist on by the CSA.

Give your head a shake.

This is why the industry is spirialing down the toilet.

Gino Under

Guest leftbase

Agreed, there are rude employees, there are rude pax. My example was a thumbnail of one, personal situation (my relatives), where it was the employee in question's turn to be an idiot. My brother-in-law in the most genial sort you'll ever meet, which is probably why I reacted white-hot to his treatment.

There is one crucial difference between the pax and the employees though...the employees are paid large sums of money to be there - the pax have PAID large sums of money for the same situation.

Does this somehow excuse rudeness in general? I don't believe so, but I think when you're paying the freight, so to speak, it's adding insult to injury to have to deal with some of the mega-b%tches working the gates....

Guest Fitzgerald

Just got back from LHR yest..and couldn't believe the deplorable service...from some of the check in agents and most of the flight attendants for the flt I was on..

All flights were delayed

and nerves were frazzled but I couldn't believe the way that they were speaking to full revenue customers...The F/A working J class...or shall I say curtain/lavatory NAZI was ridiculous....we were on the ground for 5 hrs actually in the aircraft and Y/J folks were using the forward lavs(the lavs seperated Y/J...so no one was walking thru J) ....then when we actually got off the ground she was actually arguing with the people that again tried to use them..She would say "You know we made an announcement about these bathrooms,,,they are for executive paxs only!!!they were shocked...would kinda mumble something like ....well we used them before??...and she would bark.....alright then...just go..and would continue to argue with them once they got out!!!The looks and comments I would see and hear on the surrounding faces was so embarrassing for me as a fellow employee.....What is up with these people..just get out...and let the employees who actually want to be there to take care of our customers in a considerate way take over...just terrible

Archived