Proof of Canadian Citizenship?

I'm gonna snap!!! I was just completing my passport application (7th renewal), when I stumbled upon an ammendment to the process pertaining to Proof of Citizenship.

If you were born in Quebec, only birth certificates issued after Jan 01,1994 are acceptable as proof of citizenship. Since I was born in the 50s, I now have to apply for Canadian citizenship with all BS such as pictures, forms and fees. But wait, since I don't have proof of citizenship, I now have to apply to the Quebec government for an official document in order to apply for the Canadian Citizenship.

Of course, trying to get through on government phone lines to get any information is futile.

Would someone who has been through this very process please help me out? Thanks.

Pierre Garneau

pgarneau@sympatico.ca

Guest Starman

I'm in the same boat. And since I have dual Canadian / British passports, I may not even renew my Canadian one. It's a strange country indeed that penalizes citizens born within its borders in this way.

I managed to get a hold of a live person at the passport office and apparently, I only need the 'new' Quebec birth certificate as proof of citizenship, and not the Citizenship Certificate (which is really involved and expensive). Two steps instead of three. Still BS.

PG

I had to do this last year. It is a small but manageable hassle. The older Quebec birth certificates were, I believe, easily forged. They were updated to be more in line with other provinces, thus the need to obtain a new one.

It was faster than I expected; ordered and received in about a month.

I don't think anyone is being penalized, just measures to increase the difficulty of getting false passports. Seemingly more necessary post 9/11.

Archived