Discussion: Is fascism replacing democracy?

Don Hudson

Thanks Don, and I can certainly say the same for you. Hope you're enjoying this great weather, and I'm betting that you're enjoying it in YXX today.

Cheers

Greg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SD;

Well, we should arrange that meeting some time, as I have an opinion or two on single malts, (surprised?), and which is the finest. I really favour the smoky peatiness of Lagavulin but Bowmore double-distilled Cherry Cask is pretty nice. Those get purchased once a year as part of my allowance...Now if Mitch is watching, I can recommend Appleton's Extra. It's simply the smoothest sipping rum for the price anywhere. Pour over ice...

Re right vs wrong:- Today, one must live "schizophrenically" in a world which provides everyone with universal rights. One's rights form a colliding collage over the rights of others such as one's employer, one's mate, one's children, one's friends and one's clients...they all have "rights".

Also, a dialogue about ethics, morality and right/wrong has qualities to it which demand that one suspend conclusions in favour of curiosity. I don't even know what ethics is anymore and the term "morality" seems a victim of convenience where the aesthetics of argument provide happy (read logical) arguments for behaving one way or another. Otherwise, one is forced to invoke "Mind" or some other "skyhook" to justify moral behaviour.

Anyway, I won't get going...I look forward to a time when we can sip a bit and talk.

If you ever wish to, I'm at donandfran_hudson@telus.net. No obligation whatsover to contact...just if you wish.

kind regards,

Don

Well, we never lacked for topics!!

As for an open mind, it felt more like a confused one that couldn't make up what direction it wanted to go. I finally gave it a free hand and now we're talking... (big ;) )

One thing I've learnt: I'm getting a lot smarter as my kids grow up. You wouldn't believe how dumb I was when they were teens...

Suspending judgement in favour of curiosity is a phrase a good friend used and I've never left it behind. Listening to the dialogue "out there" leaves it free to be interpreted, for there is never the meaning...the meanings are Vast.

Anyway...

Great to hear your and Patrick's voice on this forum. Its quite a place.

kindest,

Don

Don & SD ...

Perhaps we could make it a 3 way meeting!

My vacation last year was spent journeying through Arran, Jura, the Kintyre Peninsula and most especially Islay, without a doubt the home to the sweetest nectars know to mankind.

In all we made it to 8 distilleries in the course of 4 days and really discovered the history and tastes of the island malts. It is amazing how little of the process has changed in hundreds of years.

I used to think I knew which was my favourite, but now it's too close to call.

Lagavulin is top-class, as is the Laphroiag, especially at 20 years, but I think my favourite was Bowmore's 30 year-old. Just fantastic! Mind you, the Oban was pretty good too and I just wish we'd had time to get to the Isle of Skye and visit Talisker, which is another favourite.

The good news is I now have bottles of each for home tastings :-)

Pete

Don & SD ...

Perhaps we could make it a 3 way meeting!

My vacation last year was spent journeying through Arran, Jura, the Kintyre Peninsula and most especially Islay, without a doubt the home to the sweetest nectars known to mankind.

In all we made it to 8 distilleries in the course of 4 days and really discovered the history and tastes of the island malts. It is amazing how little of the process has changed in hundreds of years.

I used to think I knew which was my favourite, but now it's too close to call.

Lagavulin is top-class, as is the Laphroiag, especially at 20 years, but I think my favourite was Bowmore's 30 year-old. Just fantastic! Mind you, the Oban was pretty good too and I just wish we'd had time to get to the Isle of Skye and visit Talisker, which is another favourite.

The good news is I now have bottles of each for home tastings :-)

Pete

Well, Three-Way it is!!

Jura, Islay, Kintyre...Place of Holy Waters.

I purchased a 21-year old double-distilled Lagavulin at a wonderful establishment completely given over to such nectars in Inverary.

Re "The good news is I now have bottles of each for home tastings"

Fortunately, I have to go back as we've celebrated our way into emptiness.

As far as making it happen in YZ...I'm on.

Ach,

Duhnaldt

The Reverend-Doctor P is alive and well, and had to fight the good fight against the same cancer as yourself, with equally successful results.

He has created the most wonderful images and art, through CorelDraw!, through 3DStudio, Adobe Premier and so on, that one can imagine. He has a Commanche which he has taken across Canada several times in the summer for an extended vacation. He lives in Duncan and is as sharp as one can ever be, (66 now). We exchange views on our neighbour to our south often and there is rarely a disagreement regarding the quality and direction of governance in that nation. "Frightened" is the word most often employed. He is separated, but not d'd and engages the company of a fine friend from Victoria who has retired this year. She is equal to the good doctor's wit and story-telling. His children are living in France, and on the island.

Some unique individual...the rarest, still. As a friend said, it must be scary to live inside that head and see what it sees.

I'll take my flashlight any day. Too much reality isn't good for the soul!

Our oldest is heading to Phoenix in September to settle...landed a job with Porsche!, and with Acura. Hasn't chosen yet.

They do grow up!

Very glad to hear good news of your health, Harv'.

kindest,

Don

Guest M. McRae

Curious..... feeling the way you do about Canada,,,,,, do you live and work here now? If so, why? My question is based on your statement "I am not Canadian nor American, but I'll tell you once I am given the chance to reside in the US permanently, I am moving. I find the Canadian government a complete and total joke with "Bozo" the clown at the top."

and not on you viewpoint re 9/11 etc.

Thanks in advance. Malcolm

Guest M. McRae

Don it is indeed scarey but we should have seen it coming.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat. John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987"

Guest M. McRae

Don it is indeed scarey but we should have seen it coming.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat. John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987"

Archived