Air Spray Electra Down

Guest TonkaJet

Guest TonkaJet

My condolances to the families:

CRANBROOK, B.C. - A large four-engine aircraft crashed Wednesday while helping to fight a forest fire near Cranbrook in southeastern B.C.

Capt. Alex Schenk of the Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Victoria said both of the two people on board the Lockheed Electra water bomber died in the crash.

Witnesses report seeing an explosion when the plane hit the ground about eight kilometres south of East Kootenay city.

Schenk said the aircraft is spread over a large area, and the crash caused a fire.

The plane was a Lockheed Electra owned by Air Spray, an Edmonton-based firefighting company.

It has 35 aircraft, including four Electras.

Not their first, and sadly not their last.

For the protection of our forests and our lives, we salute those brave souls who have taken on the role of extinguishing one of nature's worst scourges.

My condolences to the families of the crews involved...

Guest PilotsWife

Since my husband has flown for them in the past, I can only imagine what their families are going through.

Our thoughts are with them.

JP

Guest mareli

I had the pleasure of working with the Captain on numerous occasions a few years ago. He was a very competant Pilot and great guy! Very sad. My condolensces as well to there families.

Guest McChicken

do we know the names of the pilots? i knew a couple of guys who flew for them.

if you want to keep it confidential, you can email me at:

jasonmcdicken@hotmail.com

thanks,

JM

Ian MacKay was my very good friend. I first met him when he was a smokejumper in the Yukon. He lived life large. He was a superb skier and whitewater kajaker. He was a hansome &%$@! to boot. He leaves three sons, a daughter and his wife Laura. His father Jock MacKay, ex CF/RCAF has been a fixture in aerial firefighting and heli-skiing for years.

I hate this.

Guest BillyBigToe

I don't know the F/O but I flew with Ian about ten years ago at First Air. Great guy and great pilot. My thoughts are with his and the F/O's family.

Archived