Gulf Air

Guest Ray Darr

Guest Ray Darr

Gulf Air update (for "dragon" and others who are interested):

For those wondering what some of the recent grumblings are about at Gulf Air, a division was recently created involving the 767 fleet, and it is now based in Abu Dhabi, in the United Arab Emirates (about 45 minutes South-East from Bahrain).

The "Gulf Traveller" all-economy division of Gulf Air has had start-up logistical problems on the crew end - pax seem content, though. And for the most part crewing issues are getting resolved. In fact, many crew are perfectly content. Of course, things don't always go as planned...

Gulf Air has been based in Bahrain for 53+ years, and moving the entire 767 division to Abu Dhabi for this Gulf Traveller has had challenges to say the least. Of course any move brings challenges, many headaches and legit gripes for people that lived in Bahrain and were settled in.

Just remember that this move involved the 767 fleet only, though, and they (the 767 group) are just part of the big picture at Gulf Air. Not to downplay any part of the problems this divisional start-up has had at all, but that’s only part of what is going on at Gulf Air.

Exciting times at Gulf Air. Things are growing...and evolving. New aircraft arriving this summer include more A-320's, 330's and 340's. Talk of regional-jets soon too.

Destination and frequency expansion plans mean doubling of the fleet to about 60 aircraft, including A-340-500's. All governments that own GF (Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and Oman) have all pledged their continued support for the carrier, and the management team is continuing to turn things around to show a profit soon, they say.

Bahrain lifestyle is pleasant and laid-back, albeit hotter than hell May to Sept, but Bahrain feels safe. And it's an ideal location for heading off anywhere in the 60+ destinations GF flies to see what else is in the world. It's a big hop back to "Home" (18 to 20 hours BAH to YYZ or YVR, depending on connections) but that's only once or twice a year. Side-trips to Europe, Africa or Asia are easy and quick to arrange on days off.

Hiring slowed with SARS and Gulf War II but is restarting soon. The interviews usually involve a technical exam with about 50 questions, closed book, mainly on systems. The actual face-to-face interview is usually a three-person panel, covering everything from working in a multi-cultural environment (GF has 52 + nationalities working for them) to “what effect does hot temps / high altitude have on performance” to a few “what if…”’s situations, to “why GF?”, “windshear drills”, etc. Review your systems, do your GF company research and check up on expat living before you show up and you’ll do well.

YES, there are times you want to scream "WHAT the HECK?!" or "AAARggg!" with some life's local differences and idiosyncrasies, but that's part of the adventures we all face, isn't it? In the end, it's really not a bad place at all to call home in my opinion, but then again I’m just one little fish in the big school of life (insert big smiley-thing here).

Take a look at the company website for more info. www.gulfairco.com

FYI, Kuwait Airways is also hiring. Of course the revolving-door hiring at Qatar Airways continues, but that’s a whole other issue...

PPRuNe has lots of info on these subjects. Do a search there too.

Good luck to everyone.

~R.D.

Ray, thanks for the info, I've already posted a cv with them on line. Very user friendly. I wonder if you would be willing get in touch so we could discuss the operation. My e-mail is busman340@cogeco.ca

Thanks CAT

Hi Ray,

Thanks for taking the time.

With respect to the Abu Dhabi 767 operation, do you get the sense that newcomers may not be made to feel exactly welcome, at least until the dust settles?..

Also, any feedback from the crews that operate there concerning family life?

Thanks again Ray, appreciate your time.

dragon

Guest Ray Darr

Howdy dragon.

No worries re taking time when I can. Happy to help out.

Newcomers may just feel the friction of the frustration of the new start-up sub-operation, that's all. Anyone with issues like you allude to don't usually cut it past the interview. You've just heard frustration on the move. Don't let those thoughts hold you back here. 99% are very welcoming and helpful here.

No time on the ground since the AUH ops started to gauge the family situation there, plus I am an Airbus-Head so I only transit through or overnight in AUH and don't really mingle with many of the 767 crew just because of timing, that's all. Those I spoke with have said things are either going OK or working towards it. Some even had smiley-faces about the move too.

Best of luck. Off to study for yet another recurrent sim. Cheers.

~R.D.

Guest Ray Darr

Hi Doc.

Not from personal experience, but from those that left us for promises of a fast upgrade at Qatar that have either came back (to the bottom of our seniority list again...) or those waiting to re-join us, I would have to say NO WAY, Jose.

There is a revolving-door hiring mind-set there for a reason. Search PPRuNe to see comments from others about Qatar Airways.

Of course, to each his own. Some like things there for whatever reason. They do have a few new malls, and the yanks are shaping things there slightly compared to before.

BUT....Doha is still boring as hell, and you need an exit visa EVERY time you want to get away. Try that on short notice when you want to escape to Dubai or Bahrain or Cairo on days off. Chance getting an exit visa only to lose your ID90 when the red-tape delays it? That ain't happening there, bub. Think the wife will like being trapped there? Add to that you need a licence to have a brew in the privacy of your own home. (??!!!)

Personally, if my job is on the line when I leave the cockpit to take a leak and I neglect to wear my uniform hat >>even just to the forward lav<< that's one place I don't want to work. Like I said, to each his own.

Off and away for fun in the sun. And maybe a few free-access brews when I get back, too.

See you all in a few days or so.

~R.D.

Actually, I meant would you recommend Qatar as a WAY to get into the region and then, hopefully, move to GF when the hiring picks up?

Guest EFIS25

There is a supposed agreement between the carriers of the region to NOT interview each others pilots - so you rarely see expat pilots jump from Gulf Air or Qatar to Emirates or vice versa.

Guest Ray Darr

doc, a few thoughts on your question:

1) There are "agreements" not to hire from one airline to another, but that does occur. Still, once you join Qatar, others may not hire you.

On to #2)... IF you are stuck at Qatar, you'll likely require hospitalization for self-inflicted injuries (AKA Kicking yourself in the butt very often)...because, well, you'd be stuck in Doha. 'nuff said.

3) IF you need a flying job these days anywhere, depending on your situation, you might just tolerate how they treat you at Qatar.

Finally, for now..4) Why use them as a jump-off point? Go straight to the ones you want.

How about just calling the Head Office Flight Ops (HOFO) for the Airbus fleet at Gulf Air, and ask when interviews may be possible in Bahrain or London. You may luck out and find a slot with your name in it. Check the company site for more contact info.

Keep try-try-trying, and once again, best of luck. Off for a few days.

~R.D.

Guest Reddguye

Can you advise where the new hires are being placed? I heard they are looking for direct hire captains for the 767? If this is true, would they be placed in Abu Dhabi in Traveller? Finally, can you advise what the starting wages are in DH?

thanks much

Archived