Seniority a dogs breakfast

Guest Planesmart

Guest Planesmart

With the Keller award coming down shortly it has brought the seniority issue on the front burner again.When Air Canada did a takeover/merge with Cail.The CLRB,the canadian labour relations board if possible should have ruled date of hire right across the airline.What we have is a dogs breakfast this has caused bitterness and lack of unity in the company.Also not to mention the millions of dollars AC lost in productivity gains and training costs.For instance the flt attendants just started intermingling in Feb2003 and operations had been merged for 2 years already whats up with that.Here is the breakfast i`m talking about.AC pilots ratio,AC flt attendants DOH i think up to 1980 after that a ratio,Maintenance/Ramp DOH with some fences,Customer service agents DOH,Dispatchers DOH and Ac Jazz DOH all depts.

When Cail was formed and Wardair later joined the fold there never a question of seniority it was assumed DOH,the union way.But when Air Canada counter offered and purchased Cail and planned to merge operations.Cail employees were thrown a left curve.They were suprised that alot of our brother and sisters at Air Canada thought because they were there first and who bought who after all ,Cail emps should be at the bottom of the list.I think this mindset was brought on by the fact there was some disparaging comments made by a minority of Cail emps in the first merger attempt in 1992 towards AC.Also Air Canada had never been through a merger before in their history and finally Mr Milton offered perks and rallied the employees during the unsolicited offer made by onex.I think they were expecting him to wade in to the seniority issue which he couldnt, with a magic wand and poof its a ratio or your at the bottom.Here you had the members of the family from Cail feeling like they were second class and not equal in the family.I think everyone has to realize this was a business decision some would say short sighted but we were all pawns in this game.The airline is now in a restruturing phase and there will be a lot of pain .My msg to our junior emps,with the unions like cupe trying to institute vsps and other employees taking loa`s and through attrition most people will keep employed and if its a layoff that it will be brief.There will be growth and upturn that will follow this perfect storm that has sent our industry into turmoil over the past few years.This company has a great and proud history from its start hauling mail between vancouver and seattle in 1937.Just think of the all the former airline employees that have come into the Air Canada family,Cp air,Eastern Provincial, Nordair,Pacific Western,Transair and Wardair.They are proud of their roots but they are in the Air Canada Family.Their focus should be along with their new brothers and sister at AC to make this company a viable entity for years to come.We need everybody and i mean everybody to pull on the oars in the same direction and at the same time if we are to turn this boat around.In this way we will be on our way towards a secure future

Guest Starman

I understand that in the Netherlands, DOH is the criteria by law for all mergers and acquisitions, with the recognition that employees are pawns in the game and do not control corporate strategy. If that had been the case here over the past 30 years, think of the money we would have saved in legal fees.

Guest Starman

If I had the power, I would have long ago. I said in 1981 re: CP - EPA, that DOH is the only criteria that will stand the test of time. As I recall, some of my colleagues at the table threw beer on me for saying it, but not one of them would disagree with me now...

They love to bring up the WD example, except they fail to explain that it put three quarters of the WD list to the bottom. And the remaining list in various position through out, but very few of them in wide body command position.

I have a former colleague, who was crying on my shoulder back in 89, telling me how he had been screwed over by the CP guys. He had been a 28 year old A310 Captain and that was his job expectation and things should have been ratio from the top because WD didn't have any NB aircraft. Please spare me the Ward Air DOH it doesn't hold water.

Lets talk about EPA. The silence is deafing from the old Gucci boys.

Guest sleveen

Kind of makes you want to laugh does'nt it, when some of these CDN guys are shooting off at the mouth about DOH, The EPA guys were shafted by CDN, now CDN are being shafted by ACPA, The EPA guys are the only ones here who should be P.O.'d. The rest of you deserve what you get..

Guest Starman

As a matter of fact, when the CDN Regional flow through was negotiated, I was one of the CDN guys who promoted the idea of a DOH merge instead. At that time, only about 10% of the lists actually merged anyway under DOH and it would have been my preferred solution. However, as time went on more and more pilots from Regional came into our ranks as new hires and they have been the most vocal (for obvious reasons) against a DOH merge

Archived