Productivity #'s for Starman

Homerun

Did a little research for you Starman. I've garnered these numbers from the ALPA submission to Mitchnick.

Canadian had 75 a/c, 1258 pilots= 16.77 pilots per aircraft.

AC had 159 a/c, 2211 pilots= 13.9 pilots per aircraft. The ACPA numbers are slightly different with the result being a bigger gap in the pilots per aircraft. ( CAI more, AC less)

As you know widebody aircraft need more crews for several reasons. 24% of Canadian's aircraft were widebodies and 29.5% of Air Canada's were widebodies.

Despite AC having 29 more widebody a/c then Canadian the AC contract required almost 3 less pilots per airplane.

Still think Canadian had a more productive pilots contract?

Guest Starman

Canadian had better aircraft utilization on average. Divide the number of available seat miles in both companies by the number of pilots (including check/supervisory pilots).

Seat miles is meaningless because different a/c have different seating capacity. Canadian had more small planes so that comparison wouldn't be fair. AC averaged about 10.5 hours per day per a/c for the fleet. What were Canadian's numbers?

Guest Marion Vanderlubbe

Somebody posted a link to the entire document here once, but I only have the abstract:

ASSESSMENT OF RECENT PERFORMANCE OF CANADIAN CARRIERS:

Dr. Tae Hoon Oum

Dr. Chunyan Yu

(edited by me for brevity)

"CAI’s productivity and efficiency levels were consistently higher than those of AC throughout the 1990-99 period."

"its dismal performance in productivity and efficiency (Air Canada)"

"By 1998, CAI became the most cost competitive airline in North America, and its unit cost advantage over AC was about 21% mainly due to the CAI’s relatively high productive efficiency."

"Canadian Airlines, on the other hand, was among the most cost competitive carriers in our sample,"

"Air Canada was among the most inefficient carrier from the beginning of our study period, and in fact, became the most inefficient carrier in 1998,"

"CAI’s high productivity and cost competitiveness (e.g., 21% unit cost advantage over AC in 1998)"

"AC survived thus far despite the fact that it has been the least efficient carrier and also the least cost competitive carrier among all of the U.S. carriers during the entire 1990-99

period."

If anyone can point me to the entire document it would be appreciated.

PS: productive doesn't mean successful, ya still gotta flog the product to the consumer at a profit. Ooooops.

Guest Starman

Seems to me that AC had a lot of little Bombardiers and DC9's at the time of the merge, but even if CDN's 737 fleet represented a larger part of its overall squadron, the measure of pilot numbers to ASM's and total block hours gives the truest picture of overall productivity.

And no I don't have CDN's average daily block hours as a comparison... anyone else have them handy?

Guest Starman

Thanks Marion.

As I said before, if AC had CDN's costs and productivity combined with AC's yield over the past 3 years, things wouldn't be half as bad as they are now.

Archived