Pilot dispute could threaten AC survival deal

Guest Flex

Arbitrator Brian Keller is scheduled to unveil a new seniority list Friday that will integrate pilots from the two airlines onto a common list.

People close to the process say they have received signals that ex-Canadian Airlines pilots will be catapulted ahead of colleagues who flew with Air Canada before the two airlines merged operations in 2000.

Union officials worry this could jeopardize ratification of a tentative agreement designed to help Air Canada emerge from bankruptcy protection by providing $250-million a year in concessions.

"If this arbitrator Keller moves in the direction he's moving now . . . the guys will be so &%$@! off they'll vote the deal down to show their contempt," said an official with the Air Canada Pilots Association (ACPA).

"They'll just say: 'Forget it. If I'm going to get screwed, I might as well shut down [the airline].' "

The union official, who spoke on the condition that he not be named, flew with Air Canada before the merger -- as did about two-thirds of the airline's pilots.

This is the second time that bickering between pilots has threatened Air Canada's restructuring

"[Ex-Canadian Airlines pilots] will make up for their pay cut by the upgrades they see with the Keller award," one Air Canada pilot wrote in an Internet chat room. "I for one would vote 'NO' to the new tentative agreement with AC if this Keller award goes through."

Mr. McInnis said he expects that Canadian Airlines pilots will benefit from Mr. Keller's seniority list, but said he couldn't comment on the specifics until the award is released

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20030611/RAIRC//?query=Air+Canada

First it was the Picher Award. The AC pilots didn't like it so they destroyed the very labour union they founded over 65 years ago. Now the Keller Award, the AC pilots sound like they'll sewer their T/A and probably whole mainline air Canada in contempt of the results. Nice boys+gals, very nice.

First it was the Picher Award. The AC pilots didn't like it, walked away and left CALPA destroying the very labour union they founded over 65 years ago. Now the Keller Award, the AC pilots sound like they'll sewer their T/A and probably whole mainline Air Canada as a result. Well ACPA is consistent; don't like the results so destroy everything around them.

Guest buskipper

q,

A very ignorant response. Picher was only one of many issues that forced the Air Canada Pilots to walk away from the Association they founded over 65 years ago.

Financial issues, representational issues, and integrity issues were the real reasons we left after much internal debate.

Now ACPA is flush with cash despite 1% dues, we clearly represent our own membership only, we are consulted and vote on all important issues, and ACPA officials don't migrate to management after their terms are up.

Picher was literally the straw that broke the camel's back. There were many other issues.

As for Keller, if two-thirds of the pilots think that this award is grossly unfair - then maybe it is. Milton should be very concerned.

Guest Fanblade

Talking to a few buddies over at AC, they say that this is a very real possibility. Over a thousand are severely affected, and will vote NO.

One guy that I talked to, is about to see a 65% drop in his salary, the others will end up on the street. All the layoffs will be from the original Air Canada group - they say that they now have nothing to lose.

Fan

Guest buskipper

q650,

where did you go? or am I imagining things? time for a little break from all this excitement I think....

Guest buskipper

Fan,

The situation is truly very bad. Even without Keller, I will likely lose my left seat. Assuming I change equipment that will likely be at least a 25% paycut to a wide-body F/O if I can hold it. That is BEFORE any career destroying setbacks from Keller.

ACPA has always gone to bat for its junior pilots, I don't see that changing. Our junior guys should not be the furloughed ahead of the surplus Canadian guys we acquired during the merger.

Guest buskipper

Fan,

The situation is truly very bad. Even without Keller, I will likely lose my left seat. Assuming I change equipment that will likely be at least a 30% paycut to a wide-body F/O if I can hold it. That is BEFORE any career destroying setbacks from Keller.

ACPA has always gone to bat for its junior pilots, I don't see that changing. Our junior guys should not be the furloughed ahead of the surplus Canadian guys we acquired during the merger.

More of the same BS eh? Instead of "pilots for pilots" the AC group has only ever wanted everything their way. They just cannot play with others fairly!

PS: and apparently ACPA is not flush with cash.

Archived