when one door closes.....

Guest jfaff

Guest jfaff

For several years, I was engaged as a speaker at a number of conferences organized by the Department of National Defence. My topic: "Choosing a second career when told your services are no longer required". It was my experience, when talking to a number of ex- servicemen and women in later years that they said the best thing that ever happened to them was when they were released. By taking stock of their lives to that point, they often found themselves in a more satisfying environment AFTER the forced layoff than before.

As my dear, departed mother used to say "When one door closes another often opens".

So to all you AC presonnel faced with an uncertain future, take off the blinders, look around. The world is full of opportunities if only you will take them.

And good luck to you all. You may have been handed a bum deal but there will always be a need for toilet paper!

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I believe in blessings in disguise. It also takes events such as these to see what is really important in life and what one wants to do with the remaining trips around the sun.

Don

Guest Oracle

Thanks for the cliche.........kind words but after leaving a good job to working at the most dysfunctional airline I can imagine. I think I might re-apply as a rampie and start a grow-op somewhere in the valley. Now you have me thinking.........

Or you could do like a certain retired AC pilot that I know personally. Steal the few entry level jobs from those who could really use it to support their families. I guess his pension isn't enough or maybe he needs to grab that King Air time for his log book.

I don't usaually comment on things like this but there are a ton of guys starving for work at the moment so why not enjoy the pension and let someone else make a few bucks.

Why is it we still equate salary paid, or assumed riches earned in the past with the entitlement to a job, the value of the job or the nature of the aircraft you are allowed to fly?

If a guy's over 60 and still loves flying, why in hell should anyone condemn him for following his passion? If all he really wants to do is pay off his ex for that matter, why should that be any different? We all have our motivations.

When I'm done flying for dough there's every chance I may end up back in the right seat of a 150 for no other reason than I enjoyed doing that. Is there going to be some guy out there slamming me for having the desire to pass on what I spent a career learning to someone who really has a thirst for that knowledge?

In my opinion it is time to stop blaming some other guy for the misfortunes that occur to you in our industry. Everyone from the newcomer who takes a job for less than you would to the old fart who's still in the seat long after you would have hung them up has the same entitlement to seek his future as you do. Condemn him and you condemn yourself.

Pete

Pete, fist off I am not condemning him for still wanting to fly rather I am saying that when jobs are as scarce as they are today why not allow someone who really needs that paycheck to exist have it. It's called being compassionate towards your fellow man. Nowhere did I ever suggest for him to hang up his wings totally, he has the right to fly just like anyone else but he does have his own little plane that he can play with. I guess your line of thinking and mine are just oceans apart, perhaps I give too much of damn about my fellow man where as you seem to have the “me first “attitude.

As you suggested that I might be blaming him for my misfortunes I have to level with you and tell you that I haven't stepped foot onto an airline flight since 1995.The last scheduled airline flight I took was with Canadian whom which I flew with whenever possible. Air Canada lost my business in 1975 when I was going to LAX, the crews were rude and made a passenger feel like they should be honored that they were allowed onto this aircraft. When I got back to YYZ I swore I would never fly them again and I have kept true to my word. Canadian on the other hand always made a person feel welcome, crews were always friendly and helpful, and I flew a lot of miles with them, never once did I experience the attitude that I did on AC. This is not to mean that things are still the same as they were in 75 but I find now that airline travel seems to be nothing more than one big pain in the *$$.

I fly myself around now so I don't know if I would call it misfortune and I still feel good about myself when I look back upon the choices that I made. Telling someone who was offering you a job “you know what why don’t you hire so and so, he really needs it more than I do at this time” so I didn’t get the job but seeing the smile on a friends face when they finally start getting a steady paycheck is worth every penny.

Pete, fist off I am not condemning him for still wanting to fly rather I am saying that when jobs are as scarce as they are today why not allow someone who really needs that paycheck to exist have it. It's called being compassionate towards your fellow man. Nowhere did I ever suggest for him to hang up his wings totally, he has the right to fly just like anyone else but he does have his own little plane that he can play with. I guess your line of thinking and mine are just oceans apart, perhaps I give too much of damn about my fellow man where as you seem to have the “me first “attitude.

As you suggested that I might be blaming him for my misfortunes I have to level with you and tell you that I haven't stepped foot onto an airline flight since 1995.The last scheduled airline flight I took was with Canadian whom which I flew with whenever possible. Air Canada lost my business in 1975 when I was going to LAX, the crews were rude and made a passenger feel like they should be honored that they were allowed onto this aircraft. When I got back to YYZ I swore I would never fly them again and I have kept true to my word. Canadian on the other hand always made a person feel welcome, crews were always friendly and helpful, and I flew a lot of miles with them, never once did I experience the attitude that I did on AC. This is not to mean that things are still the same as they were in 75 but I find now that airline travel seems to be nothing more than one big pain in the *$$.

I fly myself around now so I don't know if I would call it misfortune and I still feel good about myself when I look back upon the choices that I made. Telling someone who was offering you a job “you know what why don’t you hire so and so, he really needs it more than I do at this time” so I didn’t get the job but seeing the smile on a friends face when they finally start getting a steady paycheck is worth every penny.

Archived