Why you should support the new contract

Guest George

"Back at Canadian, the pilots provided half of the total concessionary value with only 8% of the employees!"

That is only half of the picture. Before the pay cut, what percentage of the labour costs were that 8% earning?

I'm not trying to be confrontational here, but the pilots are going to be taking the lions share of the pay cut any way you slice it, simply because they make more money than the employee groups. Even if its the same percentage for everyone, they'll still be paying more. I'd just like to see it done in such a way that the ones with a little more disposable income (and I include my family income in that category) take a bigger hit than those at the lower end of the pay scale and seniority list.

I can't help feeling sorry for the junior guys and their families. They must be pretty worried right now.

And before anyone jumps on me, I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for those who are close to retirement.

Guest Starman

Awe c'mon Jennifer... it's not that bad to have someone jump on you... if it's the right person!

And you're right, the pilots will take a bigger hit than others, (except senior management, with the same percentage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the pilots represented about 22% of Canadian's labour cost.

I don't know what percentage the pilots represented, but I do know that you and I have seen this scenario played out enough times to know what's coming. Everybody who claimed "me too" for your pay increases is now turning on you, and claiming that your group should give up the most, and since you are greatly outnumbered by the other groups, and have the most to lose, you have little choise but to take the biggest hit. It's not pretty, but that's the way it's gone in the past, and it's already headed in that direction.

But I still think that when it comes to assigning percentages for the pay cuts, it should be done according to income, not according to union affiliation, so that an FO who is making the same as an incharge, or an RP who is making the same as an agent does not end up taking a bigger pay cut.

That's my final word on the subject for tonight. Time to go get "the right person" to jump on me. ;)

Guest BAE 146

I never said that I deserved anything more than a westjet employee did I? I just stated to the pilot that was suggestion that we all take the same haircut here and I for one do not think that that would be appropriate. Some in our industry are making above industry average and they need a dose of reality. You must realize that everbodys pay is based on what others make. Dont for get your payscale was based on what Air Canada and Canadian were paying when Westjet started up. If Air Canada's AME's were paid 20 bucks an hour when westjet first started up Westjet would have paid the same or less. Basicly of we lower the bar for AME's in this country there is no future in our industry. Already other maintenance organizations in yyc are lowering the bar by asking employees at avmax to come in for training for free. Do you feel this is right? They are lowering their payscale because there are 40 ame's at calgary being laid off so they are lowballing them because they feel that they can. I realize that there is a law of supply and demand however the company's that lowball their newfound employees will find the gone to greener pastures out of the industry. Relax a bit with the attitude eh! I did not show any outrage in my post. Robert Milton has said that he wants to pay industry standard pay and work rules. I am just stating that I do not want to work for less than industry standard while some of our employees make much more. Basicly if we as AME's accept lower wages than you at westjet we are starting a bidding war to be the lowest paid AME's and yes this will pull down the entire industry! So please do not shoot the messenger I am just stating facts.

Guest BAE 146

I would love to work at Westjet. As a matter of fact i have!!!! Ha hows that for you Aer Nfld!!! I did some contract work for Spar and worked on your planes doing c checks and was proud of the work I did. I also did "B" checks in your hanger!!!

Guest PortTack

My two week take home yesterday for a 4 year Jazz FO was $1153 bucks. That's what 25,000 bucks of school, 8 years of working, 7 moves (2 north of 60), 2 years commuting, and one divorce will earn you.

I think the old Jazz contract is competitive, a new contract will be even better for the company's bottom line.

I should have been a flight attendent.

Archived