a captain's son.....

Guest neil in england

Guest neil in england

Flew a day trip to Barcelona yesterday with a very polite young man (age 22)as my FO who looked very familiar right from the word go...he was helpful, professional, had a great sense of humour and we found the time passed quickly as we worked the flight out and back...it turns out, I used to be his father's FO on the -400 about 5 years ago and he has turned out like a younger version of his Dad...his Dad being a great guy to hang around with downroute and have the odd beer with, now retired to a blissful life of golf, tennis, house in Spain and on the South Coast of UK...anyway, I always find it pleasing to see someone carrying on in their father's footsteps, having worked extremely hard to get into BA's cadet flying scheme, and then turning into an A1 pro at the end of it...

cheers,

Neil

Guest Eventer

So glad to hear that Patronage and the 'Old Boys Club' continue to be alive and well in your neck of the woods!

Guest leftbase

Yeah, no kidding. The word he was looking for was "nepotism", not "patronage", everyone knows that!

Merit-schmerit....

;)

Man ...

Can't anyone take a story of good people for simply what it is?

My guess is that Neil's 22 year old F/O was a product of BA's cadet program and hence his age means nothing more or less than that he probably had a great role model in his father to inspire his career choice.

Guest neil in england

The best part of this story Pete is that there is no way nepotism works in BA anymore...the company that screens applicants is an outside recruitment organization with no links to BA other than the contract to do it's job and get candidates lined up for further testing and interviews....so the young guy had to do it his own way....and I'm afraid I've met enough cadet programme failures in my travels (also pilot's sons) to know that this young guy had good ability...I hope some of the other guys on the thread continue to enjoy their time-building jobs...

cheers,

Neil

Well said Pete. Anyone that's been in this business more than a day must realize "success" is a crap shoot - no matter how well you prepare yourself for your future, all it takes is for a seemingly successful business to up and close its doors when you turn 50.

Like you say, Neil passed on a great story. Too bad he'll have to fly with some folks who have attitudes like most of the respondents above!!!

Archived