Article on Jetsgo

Guest toeblake

Guest Connaught

i don't dissagree with the 30k to get a pilot checked on the airplane, SPAR made me sign a 2 year contract for a 737 maintenance endorsement, the contract stateing that i won't quit or 'get' myself fired for 2 years (they layed me off after 6 months)

cost of training ain't cheap and when you got lotsa applicants looking at the job he can ask for the 'bond' although i prefer the contract idea

i am sure he has a similar idea in place for the maintenance guys as well

It's right and it works. Like Michel explained that he was glad because some pilots have left , so its there money and not the remaining employess paying for the flying club.How many pilots at C-3 skipped ship to join AC and stick it to Angus ? Pilots in general have proven time and time again that they have very little loyality .

Guest bianchiboy

Yeah, but there is a difference between the "normal" bond, and what Jetsgo is doing.

If I am not mistaken, and what my friends there tell me, the loan is completely in their name. The company pays it off bit by bit over I think it's 3 years. If the company goes t!ts up, the pilot is on the hook. If you get fired, on the hook. Laid off, on the hook. It's not just if they bail to another airline (lotsa MD-83 operators around here to bail to as well ;) )

How would you feel if after 6 months you were laid off and on the hook for $30,000? (I don't think any of the loan is paid by the company for the 1st 6 months, though I may be mistaken, and if so, it would still suck to be on the hook for $20something-grand, with no job)

Gambling $30,000 is more like what it is. I have friends who have cashed in RRSPs, and mortgaged their houses to work there. Not pretty if things don't work out. I hope for their sake it does.

Well just a reality check for you.How many people at AC and JAZZ ,do you think, will be forced to cash in their RRSP and sell their homes with the massive layoffs and or paycuts down the road ? Jetsgo pilots are working right now ,so give em a break and live and let live.If we could only forecast the future we could make a bundle on the stock market.

Guest bluenose final

Now it is time the truth about the 30K is told.

You come up with the money.

They pay you back intrest for the first 6 months. On the 7th month they pay you back the principle and intrest over 18 months.

That is a total of 24 months.

You get fired or leave they stop paying, if you get layed off they will continue to pay you back. If you refuse a call back they will stop paying.

That is how it works!

So where does it stop TSGAS?

Next startup guy will charge you 50k and pay you 30k/year? If companies were treating their employees justly, they wouldn't feel the need to look elsewhere. It's called the cost of doing business, do it right and your employees WILL stay. You shouldn't have to force them to stay with a "whatever bond". That's just for a way of saying "You don't have a choice buddy, I have the big end of the stick". The guys at Jetsgo had a choice and if they all had made the same choice, ML would have had to pay for that training, it's that simple!

Guest oneworld

ML probably decided to have this bond due to the numbers of pilots at Royal that spent time getting trainned and as soon as trainning was over or soon after would jump ship. It does cost a company a lot of money to train its staff although rumour has it that boeing is covering the cost of trainning as part of the aircraft package.

The way the company is growing and all the numbers point to a long stay. Hopefully....

Guest bianchiboy

Thanks for the clarification. I was going by what a couple of my friends there told me, and they were sorta contradictory to each other as to the details. If you reread my post, you'll see that I used "if I am not mistaken" and "i think" on the points I wasn't sure of.

Guest bianchiboy

Thanks for the clarification. I was going by what a couple of my friends there told me, and they were sorta contradictory to each other as to the details. If you reread my post, you'll see that I used "if I am not mistaken" and "i think" on the points I wasn't sure of.

Guest righthandman

1. I heard the same "information" or rumor let's call it, (because my source could not prove it)...but yes Boeing as part of the lease arrangement does provide a certain number of training hours included in the deal.

2. I think anyone who goes along with this type of training bond crap at this level of flying is doing a HUGE disservice to all pilots. I hate to say this since I know people working there, but I hope the whole operation DOES fail so that no operator can pull this type of B.S. off in the future.

Of course that is only my opinion.

What prevents you from "getting fired"? There is no protection what so ever.

"2. I think anyone who goes along with this type of training bond crap at this level of flying is doing a HUGE disservice to all pilots. I hate to say this since I know people working there, but I hope the whole operation DOES fail so that no operator can pull this type of B.S. off in the future."

I don't see this as a training bond but rather a one sided assumption of risk by the employee. It is, in my mind, a disservice to all pilots when done at any level.

Having said that I wouldn't wish failure on them because it is the individuals that will pay the heavy price not the company principles. Also, failure would only prompt the next company, that wishes to use the same arrangement, to ask for a higher amount of money with more restrictions. The only way this will stop is for pilots as a whole to quit agreeing to it. Unfortunately, as a group, we have proven unable to resist the 'job at all costs' mentality. :-(

Archived