Musings of a "politically-challenged Joe

Guest ex-SkyGeek

Guest ex-SkyGeek

While I am admittedly not a very political person, I do have an opinion about the war on Iraq now that the invasion has begun.

I, like many, believe that the U.S. should have waited until they had near-unanimous International support from the U.N., or at least given the U.N. more time to do their jobs. On the other hand, the U.N. seemed to be "dragging their feet", and who of us really knows what sort of intelligence was gathered by the U.S. government to justify its actions? For that matter, what do we really know at all? Unless you are a fly on the wall in Presidential meetings, we simply can not know the U.S. Government's true motivation(s). I'm sure somewhere in the truth is also buried something about oil.

While it may appear to us "regular Joes" that President Bush is acting hastily by invading Iraq without the support of the U.N., I personally choose to believe that his Administration has gathered enough intelligence to unquestionably warrant this invasion.

I would like to believe that they had to act now to prevent Iraq from, either directly or indirectly, being responsible for another terrorist attack on the United States. Another terrorist attack of the same magnitude would undoubtedly devastate North American economy. As Canadians we're not immune to catastrophic events in the United States, as was clearly demonstrated post 9/11. Take, for example, the total collapse of Canada 3000 Airlines, a carrier profitable the last 12 of it's 13 years, and the current crisis at Air Canada who themselves are now on the brink of bankruptcy.

I wonder what data the U.S. has to support their claim that terrorist attacks were imminent. The reality is that select few people are privy to the real answers to our questions. What might have happened had they not taken action? After all, one of Bush's primary concerns last week was the threat of terrorism was it not? I guess we'll find out in about 10 years when the Bush Administration is long gone and the intelligence is declassified.

I understand why our Government can not and will not back the United States. Really, what's the point in having a United Nations committee if war can be waged on another (U.N.) country without consideration of the views of the majority countries that make up the committee?

Having said all that I, for one, do support President Bush and Prime Minister Blair despite the fact that our government does not. The U.S. is one of our allies, probably our closest ally next to Britian, and I prefer to believe that they are acting with due diligence. Where I'm torn, however, is why now? As President Bush has said, "Iraq has had 12 years to disarm"; the U.N. has had 4 months after unanimously deciding to implement Resolution 1441, which called for immediate disarmament.

Perhaps the U.N. could have been allowed a little more time, but just 'how much' more time would it have taken, and how much more of a threat would Iraq have been allowed to grow to be in the mean time? Indeed I think this was inevitable but perhaps, given a little more time, President Bush could have had more allies onside, and the world wouldn't be questioning the usefulness of the United Nations at this time. After all, what's the point of having a U.N. committee if a country like the U.S. can undermine all that the U.N. stands for so easily.

Prime Ministers, Presidents, and other elected officials are chosen by a Country’s people (in a democratic society), to make such judgment calls for the collective good and security of the nation, on the peoples' behalf.

In God and President Bush we (must) trust. What choice do we have?

In my opinion (IMO),

Jason

Guest ex-SkyGeek

Thanks for that. I was sweatin' when I posted that message. I know it's full of holes I don't know about so I was fully expecting a backlash from those in the know.

Have a great weekend! Thanks for the laugh.

Guest Westdude

"the U.N. has had 4 months after unanimously deciding to implement Resolution 1441, which called for immediate disarmament. Perhaps the U.N. could have been allowed a little more time,"

The U.N. inspectors were also in Iraq until 1998. The original ceasfire agreement ending Desert Storm provided 14 days for disarmament.

No Flames, just some facts, enjoy your weekend.

Archived