WJ min hour requirement

Guest herc guy

Guest herc guy

Why does WJ have a 4000 hour min requirement? Will WJ be reducing this requirement in the future? If this "fence" is removed, WJ would an attainable goal for the 3000 hour military pilot (10 yrs of flying).

Guest Radcap

herc guy, Westjet has just recently lowered the minimum requirements to apply from 5000 to 4000 hours. I would bet that this number will be around for quite some time based on the current number of applications that we are recieving.

Cheers,

Radcap

Guest Stone

Agreed then herc guy. Maybe I read too much into your question. Regarding Westjet lowering its minimum hour requirements I think that would be great. It would also give a lot of young pilots who have been slogging it out in the bush, corporate, and commuter world a shot at an airline as well.

Guest herc guy

Radcap thanks for the info. Would be nice to have a chance to get into the company while it is in an expansion mode. I have heard the hour requirement is for insurance purposes: is this true?

Guest Radcap

herc guy, The number was originally decided on because of the speed of the upgrades, they are still at about 2 years. As far as the insurance question, I have never heard that.

Cheers,

Radcap

Guest bigbigbus

you bet, I'll take 3000 mil over 5000 civ any time . Before you blow a valve I've done both 5years civ before the mil and the mil time is what got me into the airlines

Guest Stone

Good for you...For my part give me an F/O from the civilian side of life. As herc guy said, he has 3000 hours in ten years (300 a year). That's not a lot of experience compared to the civilian pilot that is flying 1000+ hours a year. I have also found that the ex-military guys are rough on the controls and bring an attitude with them. Also, what high density airports do the military operate into?

But Stone,

Don't forget, for those 3000 hrs. mil flying there was 20 000 hrs. of briefing. Plus all the excellent stories about lapes drops, etc. They bring many new acronyms with them for us all to learn and witty little sayings that just never get old even after hearing them a couple hundred times. And if they were on the Herc they only fly with their feet so that leaves their hands free for other things.

Okay, sarcasm aside, westjet (and C3) before them, like a retired army guy because they have a pension to subsidize their income and that makes them more content with the low wages they get paid. Some military pilots, like some civilian pilots are extremely sharp, nice guys with good hands and feet that are a pleasure to work with, and vice versa. But so many of them fit the mold of what I wrote above that it tends to be more true on the whole.

I have to say some of my very best friends are ex airforce. But if you're ex airforce and you're reading this take a look at the first paragraph and ask yourself if you do any of this. If you do, just tone it down a tiny bit and any airline in the world would welcome you even if your time is low for your age.

IMHO,
qb

Stone,

If a civilian pilot and a military pilot each have 3000 hrs. then they may be equally good or bad. But the reality of what happens is, you end up with 2 pilots who've each flown for 10 years and one is going to have 3000 hrs. and one is going to have 7000 hrs. and to me it's a no-brainer which one to hire.

But to an airline the main advantage of hiring an army guy is, they come with a pension. They're perfectly happy to take the low wage and there's enough of them that the companies can keep the pay low and still fill the seats which is unfair to the civilian guy working his way up. C3 used to do this. I suppose I can live with the boring herc stories, the guffawing at unfunny jokes, and endless acronyms but the real problem is what they do to the industry's wages.

I try, however, to resist painting them all with the same brush as some are very good friends of mine and the military doesn't have a lock on idiots. But regardless, I think what they do to the wages is indisputable.

As always, just my humble opinion.

qb

That is being a little general. Military pilots are no different than the rest of us, some good, some not so good, some with a good attitude, some bad.

As far as not operating into high density airports, I don't think so, I have seen Canforce Hercs, Airbus, Challenger, etc.. in places like Mexico City, Vancouver, Guatemala City, Frankfurt......list could go on. Oh yah some of those airports are also high altitude and in the mountains, I have not met that many (Canadian) civilian pilots who have flown into Guatemala City or Alert in the winter!

Regards,

60N30W

P.S. I am not ex forces but I have flown into GUA and MEX many times but not Alert!

WestJet is a fair company,they have mins and they follow them.No hiring based on affirmative action on any other B.S.You make the grade and have the right attitude and we'll have a look at you.So if you have 3000 hrs just keep on flying until you have 4000 hrs,just like all the others,no special interest groups here.

Guest bigbigbus

the Canadian Forces do not have Army pilots and not all C3 ex mil had pensions.As for unfunny jokes I heard my fair share at WJ and they have guys working for less than most.You would be surprized to fine out that alot of ex-mil pilots have been and are involved with unions and pilot groups to raise the wages of the non-mil pilots

Guest ace1pilot

I have to agree with you. Flying a Sea King, Herc, etc... where's the glass time. Civilians no doubt have an advantage.

On that note… I’ll be brief, as I hardly know what to say or where to start. Humility is an admirable quality especially when you find yourself in good company. Flexing your muscles at the Gracie family reunion is foolish when the alternative is enjoying a hotdog. If you don’t know what bjj stands for don’t do it. I have run into far to many folks with your attitude. The Military was well rid of some of the boneheads you refer to. Glad to see they are your problem now. Pistols at dawn anyone? PER ARDUA.

Guest Tri-spool

Stone,

Are you always this ignorant and irresponsible, because this is exactly what this whole tread has degenerated into.

herc guy asked a simple question! or at least I thought he did!

Grow Up!

Guest Stone

Tri-spool,

Are you always this easily bruised? I was responding to bigbigbus, not herc guy.

As always, wade in with an opinion but leave the slander back at the base.

Stone

I agree with Redcap. Minimum requirements are just that. Bending of rules for any specific group creates unwanted divisions in the group. I believe the current number of applicants does not warrent lowering those mins in a high growth envirnment. that may change, I would guess, in the future.

Archived