The Logical Merge

Guest propalong

Guest propalong

I am not an Air Canada pilot and I have also never been in favour of a seniority list that gives pilots preferential status based on when they are hired at a specific company.

It is readily apparent that a DOH list based on some people carrying seniority from bush operations(through various merges) and some people carrying seniority that has only been accumulated from their time at a mainline carrier will not work.

I propose that we begin acting as professionals. Professionals respect others in their field and give due credence to the fact that the other members in the field are accumulating experience and contributing to the profession whether they are flying a C-172 or a B-747.

A pilots experience most often parallels the hours in their logbook. If you take a senior AC pilot or a Senior pilot at Jazz I would expect that their actual flying hours to get to the position that they currently hold would in most cases be very similiar. If we are to act as professionals and give equal consideration to all other professional pilots we merely accept the commercial flying hours that they have accumulated during their career and apply it to merging the Air Canada/Jazz/Georgian pilots and let the chips fall.

There are exceptions such as military fighter pilots who could easily be credited x number of hours a year(equal to what would be expected if they had been in civil aviation) for when they were in the military.

This is a merge concept based on giving pilots credit for their whole career, and not just the credit accumulated for being at a particular carrier.

This process could be taken a step further and when pilots are hired into the AC family we could place them based on their career experience and not just on the bottom of the current list.

People have to realize that if we don't start acting as professionals we cannot expect to be paid as professionals.

Guest CJRT

Another solution would be DOH based on the moment AC became a majority owner of each of the regionals. This would prevent a conflict with those who have been with AC for more than 15 years(I'm not sure of the exact years of ownership) but would allow the senior Jazz types to be acknowledged for their contribution to AC's bottomline since becoming part of the family. From there, you would give all regional pilots their original regional date of hire back as long as they went from the regional straight to the mainline. I know there is an arguement from OTS that why should they be penalized for not having worked at a regional. Well, the fact would be that you did not contribute to the company as a whole until you came on line with the group. As well, fences could be utilized to create stability and lower company costs. I know people are always saying that DOH won't fly. Maybe it's not a matter of wanting but of necessity to the survival of the pilot group and ultimately the company's as well.

Guest jimmy

You know, instead of thinking up new ways (military pilots get their date of joining the forces because they contributed to the nation and were prevented from contributing to the bottom line of the company, and a million more you've never heard of)why not just follow what is in the labour code. What you did and where you did it before with the old company you do with the new company.

Senior 320 Captain before, same after. Junior RJ Captain before, same after. Obviously you'd have to slot relief pilots in there somewhere but that would be up to the mediator/arbitrator.

I think you'll see the Lordon/Keller list structured in this way because, gee, that's what the law says. Not DOH or YOS or anything else.

Interesting that you mentioned the contribution to AC's bottom line, CJRT. If that's the case and given our current home in CCAA, the longer with the company, the lower on the list you should go since you actually helpedAC lose money forlonger.

See how these arguments can get silly very quickly.

jimmy

Archived