Normalizing

Guest JW

Despite a few rather low-brow, slack jawed type postings here, the standard of postings didn't slip quite as badly as I'd expected during the last bit of the labour negotiations.

There were ample opportunities to stir the pot up incredibly here, but all-in-all, not too bad, on the whole. Maybe the site is maturing a bit after 8 or more years? Hopefully that's the case.

Part of the process of normalizing the relationship between factions, particularly when it comes to groups competing for the same work is having at least a semblance of respect for the other side's opinion and point of view. One side is not always right, or wrong. ACPA, nor ALPA are the great evil, nor are they be-all-end-all gift to aviation. Likewise unions, or any particular union, are not the great evil, nor the saviour of the worker, either.

Polarizing the issues, and tribalization of the "camps" doesn't move the discussion forward. That process is counter productive to developmental problem solving. Turning AC into the Kosovo of Canadian aviation hurts our company, shareholders, our customers, and therefore US, too. We need a better way!! How do we start new from this point on, and avoid the sniping from the bushes that destroys any process, and ends taking down already trodden paths?

Throughout the various jobs that I've had in my approximately 35 (plus) years of working life, I've been a member of a number of unions, with varying degrees of satisfaction. I've worked back and forth through many jobs, repeating some, sometimes two at a time, hired, fired, on strike, laid off, worked on farms, in the city, in the mountains, up north, the prairies, as a car wash guy, lifeguard, hospital orderly, bar waiter, lifty, ski lift construction, skidder driver, cat-skinner, bucker, faller, truck driver, photographer, hangar sweeper/oil changer/grunt flunky absolute bottom of the aviation totem pole through various flying jobs from crop spraying, instructing, bush flying, offshore, corporate jet, and finally completing 24, into my 25th year at AC.

No matter what jobs I've worked at, the most fun and satisfying have been when there is a rapport between employer and employee - not just lip service and condescension, but a desire to get the most and best from the employee, and visa versa from and for the company.

AC workers of all the divisions now have to get back to working at respecting each other, across various lines, and normalizing relationships. We'll see how the days ahead unfold. AC is NOT out of the woods, yet. Even with ACPA there are a number of issue with which to deal in the coming weeks.

The process of the CCAA has raised a number of issues, and probably opened up Pandora's Box on some, too.

If the company, that is management and employees of all the divisions together as a cohesive unit and force, does not move ahead to serve the public and the investors in the airline, we'll have to do this again in 2, 5, or 10 years. The best way we can solidify our own futures is to get back to having some fun in a job that we probably all joined because we expected that it would be so, with respect for each others' situations, work and points of view.

...imo!

JW

You've made a lot of good points there Jim. I think you do a great job of putting thoughts to print, and I especially like reading your thoughts when you slow those fingers down to avoid the several-typo's-per-line syndrome. :D

Anyway..., re: "No matter what jobs I've worked at, the most fun and satisfying have been when there is a rapport between employer and employee"

That sir, is an absolute bingo! I too have worked at a rather wide variety of jobs before settling into my current profession. I won't list them, I've done that before, but the fun factor, the ability to look forward to coming to work, has always been dependant on that relationship. Even when relations with other employees are great, if the relationship with the employer rots, then it just ain't fun.

A heavy lack of trust is festering at AC and that kind of a serious wound needs attention.
imo. ;)

Guest wetcoaster

Absolutely fantastic posting. Sounds like my career except I didn't fly corporate, nor was I a flunky or went overseas but the rest - I've done it all. And you are so right - the jobs I liked the best were the ones where the employee-employer relationship was good - regardless of the pay. Postings like yours are where we start. Kudos!

Guest Nail

JW,

Cat-skinner??!! Never did like those little critters that much...
You left out "chick-magnet", from your days of "pumping-it-up!!"

BTW, (on a serious note) This process we've just been through (and it's not over yet!) I felt was inevitable for the last several years. SARS brought it all to light a lot quicker, but a rationalization was needed long before that. Too much debt, old style thinking, and a base of competition (domestically at least) that was on a much leaner platform than we were. I've felt it's been a one-way street to here basically since we absorbed CAIL, leaving NOBODY ELSE out there in Canada that was even close to our "elevated" job conditions.

As you say..... IMO!!

Nail

Dave:

:)

Almost as unpopular, and un-PC, as telling people I partially responsible for those bare spots you see flying over the Monashees, is telling them I used to skin any thing - like muskrats, weasels, etc, when I trapped as a kid, in N. Sask., for spending money. Skinning CATerpillar's - Well, the D7 or D9 were tough muthas (especially the way I treated transmissions at about 20.)

JW

Guest CabinDweller

Those are some becoming points to start this new day on.

A observation from someone outside the situation;
Polarizing the issues…doesn't move the discussion forward.
If AC insists on continuing to try to take advantage of pilots from within it’s “separate” companies, as pilots continue to be represented by two separate unions, the issues and interests are inherently polarized.

However, as you point out, if ever there was a time to come together, this is it. There is now a common “end” for all labour groups to rally around: to save the company…and one’s own job.
Although, I remain unimpressed that management are as committed to the employees, as the employees are committed (thou perhaps out of necessity) to the Company.

DL

Dave:

:)

Almost as unpopular, and un-PC, as telling people I partially responsible for those bare spots you see flying over the Monashees, is telling them I used to skin any thing. Skinning CATerpillar's - Well, the D7 or D9 were tough muthas (especially the way I treated transmissions at about 20.)

JW

The day those "formative years" stop, is the day I die.... I hope. All of life is experience that continues to promote growth. If I ever develop such a thickness that nothing new affects me, It'll be time to quit. Or at least, so I reckon at this point in my development. :D

Isn't that somewhat common though?... Aren't we all creatures made of our experiences? With certain predispositions no doubt, but largely, I'd say we're all still subject to change. :)

Guest CabinDweller

Chapter 14: Life Affirmation
(names/dates/places may be changed to protect the not-so-innocent)

So true, Mitch. We're all changing subjects, and subject to the changes that life brings.

Was it Zorba the Greek who said, "Embrace the disaster."? Crazy, wine-drinking fool!

neo

My. He picks a handle that not one in a thousand would recognize, and he knows Hegel. Ya gotta love The Forum.

neo

Archived