The passing of a great airman

Kip Powick

Reprinted from the RAPCAN Newsletter

Freeman, Albert B. (Ab)- it is with heartfelt sadness that we announce "Ab's " passing on Saturday, October 16th in his 83rd year, unexpectedly at home. Ab was born January 16, 1921 in Didsbury, Alberta. He was the loving husband of Deanna. Dear father of Sue (Allan) Thorn and John Freeman, and stepfather to Ron (Michele) McIntyre and Lori (Glenn) Ross. A proud grandfather and great grandfather he will be truly missed.

Ab had an exceptional flying career in aviation that commenced in 1940 with the Royal Canadian Air Force where he flew as an operational pilot and was awarded the D.F.C. returning to civilian life in 1945. In August 1945 he joined Trans Canada Airlines (now Air Canada) and his career was uninterrupted until February 1986 when he retired from Wardair as Vice President, Flight Operations.

Although in a management position for the majority of his career, Ab was able to accumulate approximately 29, 000 flying hours.

His love of flying, boating and times with friends and family provided him with many happy occasions and memories.

As a respected gentleman, his family will receive friends to celebrate his life at Turner and Porter Funeral Home, 2180 Hurontario Street, Mississauga, Thursday, October 21st from 7:00pm to 9:00pm, and a memorial service will be held on Friday, October 22nd at 3:00pm with a reception to follow at a nearby location.

In remembrance and in lieu of flowers, those who wish to can make donations to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (www.warplane.com) or to Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame (www.cahf.ca).

Ab was born January 16, 1921 in Didsbury, Alberta. In 1926 Earl and Elsie Freeman moved their family to Innisfail, Alberta. Ab lived there until he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force, December 20, 1940 and shortly thereafter he married Barbara Lennox.

During his airforce days he flew the following aircraft: Tiger Moth, Cesna Crane, Stranraer Flying Boat, CANSO-A Flying Boat (Water and Land), Harvard, Anson, Norseman (Wheels), Lockheed Hudson and Ventura. Approximately 2400 hours were logged.

On June 1944 Ab was awarded his Operational Wings, RCAF and on March 03, 1945 was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, RCAF. He received an Honourable Flying Cross, RCAF with the rank of Flight Lieutenant.

In 1945 Ab joined Trans Canada Airlines (Air Canada) where he flew as a Captain on the following aircraft: Locheed 1408, Locheed 1808 (Lodestar), DC3, North Star, Viscount, Lockheed Super Constellation and Douglas DC8. Approximately 17, 000 hours were logged.

Ab was employed with Trans Canada Airlines/Air Canada for 20 years and 3 months.

It is interesting to note that in 1939 Ab initially applied to the Royal Canadian Navy and did not hear anything from them for almost a year. He then applied to the Royal Canadian Air Force and was accepted as a trainee in 1940. He remarked many times in a person's life span when a "fork-in-the-road" decision must be made that will affect the rest of one's life. If the Navy had been desperate for recruits, he would have spent his war years in the RCN rather than the RCAF. His whole life would have been completely different if he had received his first wish.

It was as if destiny intervened.

In October 1965 Ab accepted the position with Wardair as Manager of Flight Operations, when the Company started their first JET aircraft, the B727 in April 1966. As the Company expanded, his title was changed to Vice-President, Flight Operations, which he retained until his retirement in February 1986. During his career at Wardair he flew as Captain and Check Pilot on the B727, B707, B747 and DC10-30. Approximately 10,000 hours logged. Ab was employed with Wardair for 20 years and 3 months the exact same amount of time he was with Trans Canada Airlines (Air Canada).

Ab married Deanna in 1972 and they moved to Mississauga in 1974 when Wardair moved their headquarters to Toronto. Their hospitality was enjoyed by near and far friends/colleagues.

Ab often remarked on the coincidences in his life, his Airman Number was R77777, and he flew on a number of aircraft type that were 7_ 7 and many fortunate events seemed to occur on the seventh month and/or the seventh calendar day. With this in mind Ab and Deanna named their sailboat 'Windemere 7 7' and enjoyed many wonderful days sailing and meeting new friends. With his new interest in boating and to satisfy his inquisitive nature, Ab joined the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron and eventually became the Commander in his area.

A very outstanding quality Ab possessed was his life long desire to learn, which was reflected throughout his life. He loved the advancement of technology and was quick to adapt to change.

Ab is survived by:

Wife: Deanna

Children: Sue (Allan) Thorn of Victoria , John Freeman of Toronto

Step Children: Ron (Michele) McIntyre of Edmonton, Lori (Glenn) Ross of Brampton

Grandchildren: Mike (Danielle) Thorn, Steve Thorn, Joan (Mike) Nielsen and Lisa Wheatley.

Step Grandchildren: Michael, Allyson

Great Grandchildren: Rheagan, Brett, Justin, Nicholas and Cameron

Sister: Emma Russell of Prince George

Ab was predeceased by his brothers John, Rolland, sister Alice Harwood, and brother Stan.

One of Ab's favourite poems~

High Flight

By John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings,

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew.

And, while silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

His poem, composed in September 1941, was scribbled on the back of a letter which he mailed to his mother in Washington. Pilot Officer Magee was killed a few months later when his Spitfire plane collided with a bomber-pilot trainer on approach to the airport over Lincolnshire, England. He was 19 years old.

...... couldn't let this go unanswered....

Very sorry to hear of his passing.... Though we all know "the ice man cometh", it doesn't make it any less sad when it comes to those who have contributed so much to a profession so close to our hearts.

I hope Max will have a drink for the man today.... wish I could join him.

Archived