Transfer of Regional Flying

proview

I feel obliged to venture a contribution to this often heated discussion. I am not employed in the Airline Industry and speak only as an observer. ( Perhaps in happier times I might have been called a potential investor :-) ). I realize emotions are high right now, and do not mean to offend anyone.

I have in front of me Air Canada and Canadian Airlines timetables for 1998, which was just before the merger. The total number of flights by both carriers and their subsidiaries from my city (Edmonton) worked out to about 116 or 117 per day. Today, I see from the Air Canada on line timetable, that the total is about 42 or 43 per day. The Airport statistical archive reports that passenger boardings are running at the same level as in 1998.

Obviously, the main issue here is not that flying is being transfered from mainline to regional or vice versa, but rather that flying is being transfer from Air Canada to Westjet, Northwest, etc.

I am not sure what can be done about this, but I cannot see collective aggreements and scope clauses as being what people should be worrying about.

Guest theman

It is the only way to keep this CIE in the sky. The astronauts from ACPA must understand this........

You make an excellent point, sir. Air Canada has lost much business to the competition, and I believe will continue to do so (if they survive).

If Air Canada survives, it will never again be the airline it once was. Senior management has ensured this by stripping the employees of their morale.

Guest Hawkeye

.....and the pilots (acpa) have stripped the management of the ability to run the company with respect to aircraft,because of the scope restrictions placed on it.

ACPA dictates what A/C goes where & who flies it! I thought they were hired to fly the planes. But Hey, they can do it all & lead all ( Air Canada) into liquidation!!!

Archived