CARS Question

Guest blocked pitot

Guest blocked pitot

I am studying for an exam and I came across the CARS reference that follows. It is the first time I see it. I was under the impression that an IFR flight had to have enough fuel to fly to destination,approach, missed, alternate + 45 mins. Does this not apply to 704 and 705 operators?

No air operator shall authorize a flight and no person shall commence a flight unless the aircraft carries sufficient fuel to meet the fuel requirements of Part VI and to allow the aircraft

(a) in the case of an aeroplane operated in IFR flight,

(i) to descend at any point along the route to the lower of

(A) the single-engined service ceiling, or

(B) 10,000 feet,

(ii) to cruise at the altitude referred to in subparagraph (i) to a suitable aerodrome,

(iii) to conduct an approach and a missed approach, and

(iv) to hold for 30 minutes at an altitude of 1,500 feet above the elevation of the aerodrome selected in accordance with subparagraph (ii); and

Guest regular joe

It used to be 45 mins but was changed to 30 mins a while ago. 705 is a bit more detailed.

Cheersja

The regulation has two parts. It states: (from 703.20, 704.20, 705.25) “carries sufficient fuel to meet the fuel requirements of Part VI and to allow the aircraft...........” This regulation deals with abnormal situation (engine failure, pressurization failure, etc.) requiring a descent to a lower altitude and still have fuel to make it to a suitable airport to safely land with some reserve fuel. Not much of a problem for say the Piper Navajo but a serious consideration for a turbo jet aircraft where the fuel burn is much higher in the lower altitudes. Part VI (CAR’s 602.88) deals with the fuel requirements on a “normal” IFR flight.

Hope that helps

From the CAR’s

Fuel Requirements
602.88 (1) This section does not apply in respect of any glider, balloon or ultra-light aeroplane.
(2) No pilot-in-command of an aircraft shall commence a flight or, during flight, change the destination aerodrome set out in the flight plan or flight itinerary, unless the aircraft carries sufficient fuel to ensure compliance with subsections (3) to (5).
(3) An aircraft operated in VFR flight shall carry an amount of fuel that is sufficient to allow the aircraft
(a ) in the case of an aircraft other than a helicopter,
(i) when operated during the day, to fly to the destination aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 30 minutes at normal cruising speed, or
(ii) when operated at night, to fly to the destination aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 45 minutes at normal cruising speed; or
(b ) in the case of a helicopter, to fly to the destination aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 20 minutes at normal cruising speed.
(4) An aircraft operated in IFR flight shall carry an amount of fuel that is sufficient to allow the aircraft
(a ) in the case of a propeller-driven aeroplane,
(i) where an alternate aerodrome is specified in the flight plan or flight itinerary, to fly to and execute an approach and a missed approach at the destination aerodrome, to fly to and land at the alternate aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 45 minutes, or
(ii) where an alternate aerodrome is not specified in the flight plan or flight itinerary, to fly to and execute an approach and a missed approach at the destination aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 45 minutes; or
(b ) in the case of a turbo-jet-powered aeroplane or a helicopter,
(i) where an alternate aerodrome is specified in the flight plan or flight itinerary, to fly to and execute an approach and a missed approach at the destination aerodrome, to fly to and land at the alternate aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 30 minutes, or
(ii) where an alternate aerodrome is not specified in the flight plan or flight itinerary, to fly to and execute an approach and a missed approach at the destination aerodrome and then to fly for a period of 30 minutes.
(5) Every aircraft shall carry an amount of fuel that is sufficient to provide for
(a ) taxiing and foreseeable delays prior to take-off;
(b ) meteorological conditions;
(c ) foreseeable air traffic routings and traffic delays;
(d ) landing at a suitable aerodrome in the event of loss of cabin pressurization or, in the case of a multi-engined aircraft, failure of any engine, at the most critical point during the flight; and
(e ) any other foreseeable conditions that could delay the landing of the aircraft.

Archived