caribbean contract

Guest rollingrock

Guest rollingrock

Does anyone have any views on the dash 8 caribbean contract in antigua ? I believe its an ex cra guy running it (storm aviation).

thanks in advance.

Guest Sable

Storm Aviation
Capt's $4800us/month
Residence in Antigua or Grenada
Work 18-20 days
Mostly single days
Training is terrible, you do actual V1 cuts in the actual airplane(don't screw up)

Guest chiselcharter

Yikes???...was that a good yikes or a bad yikes.
V1 cuts on actual A/C is not uncommon. Not everyone has a sim. and besides most going for the contract have Dash time.

Guest rollingrock

That was a bad yikes. His line before said the training is terrible. V1 cuts are fine, but not when the other person or training dept. is "terrible".

Guest floatrr

Be very careful! Ask for everything in writing ,and a hard copy of the contract before you sign anything or get on an airplane. Don't expect alot of support when you get down there if you have any problems with transportation or accomodation. If you find anything unacceptable( which you probably will ) don't complain about it unless you want your contract terminated, which can happen. Think about 8 days off a month, and long work days in the heat with no APU's. Good luck. The other numbers posted in this thread seem correct.

Guest rollingrock

thanks very much for the insight. it sounded a little sketchy on the phone.

genereal question about contracts. if you sign on for a particular length (ie 6 months) you are obligated for that period, but is the company also obligated. can they just terminate the contract half way through?

It would suck to take a 3 year leave of absence somewhere and half way through have them cancel.

Does it work both ways??

thanks

The contractors rights with respect to early termination should be specifically stated in any contract you negotiate. If you don't like the terms they offer you can always propose a change.

Having said that, you can have whatever terms you like written into a contract, but they are only as relevant as your ability to get them enforced if the other party chooses to reneg.

To that end you want to know what terms there are for dispute resolution, and in which jurisdictions that resolution would take place. Odds are the contractor will have selected a forum that will be most sympathetic to him and most difficult for you. The other question will be whether he has any assets in that jurisdiction in the event you did actually win a judgement. If not then the terms, whatever they are, are probably unenforcable in practice.

Basically contracts are a bit of a crap shoot, so you really want to make sure that the direct compensation reflects the risk before you decide to jump.

Guest rollingrock

Thanks boomerpete. it seems like there isn't much recourse if someone changes the rules of the contrct, unless your the one that wants out. seems there's always a penalty for us to get out (training bond), but nothing if its the other way around.

i was looking at parc aviation, any insight on their reputation.

thanks again.

Guest chiselcharter

To me it seems BP was talking contracts, not so much the reputation of Storm. Contract work is contract work. The contractor has an obligation to supply qualified individuals. If you fit into this category and have not had problems with previous employers then chances are things will flow smoothly. Remember you are talking about a ANU things run differently in 'other than North American' companies. If these contracts were yours, you would be looking for 'mature' candidates not whiners whom require babysitting...handle it.

Guest rollingrock

chiselchaser, once again you've convinsed me that you are a complete idiot and always cofrontational. Not all contract companies are reputable and doesn't mean you need "babysitting" when you inquire about a particular company or talk to someone whos done the same contract. Lots of contractors tell you what you want to hear to get you there and then change the rules and working conditions.

I made no comments about the reputation of storm aviation, infact the reason i asked is i never heard of them. So chill out buddy and what exactly am i suppost to "handle". again your confusing.
by the way what does a ANU mean??

rr ....

I've heard nothing much specific about Parc as they do not participate in the KAL contract.

Having said that, from my and colleagues experiences with what are considered to be reputable contractors, I would have little faith in any contractor's willingness to fulfill contract conditions they have with you if the airline that they've contracted you out to decides otherwise.

If the airline involved has a history of screwing guys around, expect to be screwed even if the contractor is considered reputable. If they've generally been good to their word, then it's that that I'd rely on, not the enforceability of the contract.

Hi rr

ANU refers to Antigua, V.C. Bird International Airport.

What CC was trying to say is that dependant on your history, you WILL find your day to day life and your flying life totally different than what you've come accustomed to in Canada, you likely already know that – at least to some degree.

Kind of like ordering a beer on the beach in Acapulco, sometimes it takes a while and some guys have problems with that, if you know what I mean. ;)

I have done some flying like this and problem solvers seem to make out ok.

Anyway, good luck to you and your family.

Guest rollingrock

Thanks dragon, maybe i misunderstood what cc was trying to say, sounded condesending, but could be wrong.
thanks for your input.

Guest rollingrock

Thanks dragon, maybe i misunderstood what cc was trying to say, sounded condesending, but could be wrong.
thanks for your input.

Guest chiselcharter

I do hope you read the contract better than my posting.
As far as the name calling goes, was it meant for me or chiselchaser? If it was meant for me...whatever. Do you know what chisel chartering is?
The babysitting comment was, once you are hired they don't want to hear from you..handle it yourself.
You would be a fool not to ask questions, but if you do fly off at the handle quickly, contracts may not be your bag.

rr ...

KAL = Korean Air, my employer via contract for the last few years.

I'd echo Dragon's sentiment. Things in the contract world can be quite different from what you would expect in Canada, but if you can practice a bit of patience and flexibility things can work out quite nicely for you.

Archived