Canada ....What the...?

Guest WA777

Should you decide to holiday in the States, make sure to wear your 'I love America' patches, display the American flag, and do not under any circumstances speak French! Thanks so much, oh you "fearless leaders" in Ottawa.

I guess what you are saying is, our friendship with the U.S. is based on the "What have you done for me lately?" scenario.

It was only a year ago that, while in Afghanistan supporting the war against terrorism, Canadian soldiers were killed and wounded by U.S. friendly fire.

That seems to be giving the ultimate level of support. Apparently, however, not going to Iraq this time nullifies that and other times in the past we have stood by our 'brothers'. It comes across as a conditional friendship. One that many Canadians seem willing to accept and perpetuate.

I also begs the question of, what is our friendship with the Americans based on.

Is it just because we are dependent on them economically, or because we are dependent on them for our security, or do we see them as neighbours and friends?

It seems to me that the major fear in Canada is not that, just maybe, we have let our friends down, but that we might be injured econmically.

Archived