Layoffs?

Guest Oracle

Guest Oracle

Just curious if any insiders or others in the know would predict pilot layoffs at AC. Is it a forgone conclusion or not?

They may quite possibly avoid layoffs, this is a reality. You might however be able to find other employment quite easily with better pay/benefits and just as good quality of life once the "restructured" airline is in place ;-)

Guest Labtec

I would hazard a guess that you'll see 212 pilots furloughed. If the 747's go we'll definately be in a surplus situation and there are 212 pilots that do not have any "no layoff" protection. (Not that it means much these days).

We'll lose another 360 in the next 3 years and we'll probably be coming out of this malaise by then. The 212 get recalled and we retire another 700 by 2010. This will end and it WILL be good again. People need to fly; its that simple.

Labtec

I'm just wondring a few things after reading your posting: how many pilots associated with the 74 in total, Capts, FOs, reserve, training, management pilot etc? Also the 360 you mention, those are retirements? And lastly, the 212 with no layoff protection, they were hired when?

Thanks
Seeker

I'm just wondering a few things after reading your posting: how many pilots associated with the 74 in total, Capts, FOs, reserve, training, management pilots etc? Also the 360 you mention, are those retirements? And lastly, the 212 with no layoff protection, when were they hired?

Thanks
Seeker

Guest av8tr

I recently heard (second hand info) that the company does not have enough pilots for its summer schedule. Not sure if this determination was made prior to CCAA but most likely was.

Guest Labtec

We lose 349 pilots to planned retirements to the end of 2005. We lose another 684 to scheduled retirements by the end of 2010.That's 1033 pilots retired by the end of 2010.

The 212 that I think will be laid off include the 172 that were to be layed off last year plus another 40 hired last May and June.

Its just a guess but there will likely be some blood on the floor in flight ops and my guess is as above; if we survive.

Labtec

Thanks. Hopefully those pilots retiring will have their pension waiting for them. Normally I would say retiring is a good thing but in this case it may not be.

Guest alldatjazz

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the Contracts are still valid even under CCAA. Therefore, the no lay-off clauses are still binding and can only be changed if the Unions give a Let to the Company.

Perhaps they will do it under pressure from the Creditors but, it is still the Unions perogative.

Comments?

Archived