A319 YYJ-YVR?

Guest V Climb

Guest V Climb

Can someone please explain to me why in the world AC would designate an Airbus A-319 to fly between YYJ-YVR. I would assume this is a stand up pairing for the AC crew, dispite having Jazz crews based in YYJ. I am no accountant, but I would hazard a guess and assume the cost of the Airbus with crews on a stand-up is considerably more expensive to operate then the Jazz crews operating a Dash-8-300.

I am just a little baffled and looking for any insight...

Cheers

Don't know what you mean by "stand-up" but this flight pairing is part of the new daily sked. Even a 319 will make money on the route if most of the seats are full. As for Jazz crews based in YYJ the pilots operating these flights are based in YVR but could just as easily be YUL/YYZ/YWG.

Hi vclimb

I have been told that this is a “short term” one month effort to cover some flying that Jazz is unable to. Apparently the parking of 5 DH-8-102’s will start immediately and the regional is being replaced on a couple flights until some planes are shuffled around. (146’s going in for heavy maintenance etc & dashes needed to cover some of their work.)

I suspect these flights will be full as the Jazz ones have been. If any money is being made/lost it’s really only known by the bean-counters at AC (as they set the price & ultimately the schedule/aircraft). The reality is that regardless of a full load or not, one will never know if yield exceeds cost on a particular leg/flight.

Ah the tried and true adage “Loads are up, yields are down” rings in my ears once again.

Seat Belt Sign…ON

Slim

Archived