B737 X Utilization

Guest Bugsy G Darren

Guest Bugsy G Darren

Did Canadian Airlines cross utilize their B737-200 crews on the B737-300?? If so did they have to get special dispensation from TC or was it covered off in the Ops Manual?

Guest johnboy

CDN never operated the B737-300..CP did
operate the 200/300 but I'm not sure they cross utilzed...I believe they did not.

Guest manwest

I think CP Air leased two 737-300 from someone when they operated Attache by CP Air

Their all J class aircraft.

Yeah they did. They leased 300s from Monarch in the UK for winter charters. I think '89 was the last year it happened. There was a short course and there were dedicated crews but they also had reserve coverage. I think the reservists flew both. Anyway, MoT changed the endorsement to cover 200,300 and 400. It wouldn't cover the NG though.

CPAir operated several -300's in all "J" class config, as "Pegasus" flights. Similar (but opposite) to today's "Tango" flights.

I flew our -200's and our -300's interchangeably. My endorsements include the B73A and the B73B. The endorsement consisted of some training on a classroom-based FMS trainer, some classroom training on the systems changes (FMS, hydraulic and electrical systms mostly), and then 4 line flights with a check-pilot.

The B737-300 came in a full-glass config, or a round dial plus FMS config. Ours were the latter, and as such, there may have been a requirement to operate a min of 2 legs every six months or so in each version, to retain qualification in both. I've forgotten the specific details of the requirements.

I'm pretty sure that if we had bought the "full glass" cockpit then we would have had to alternate our six-month SIM rides in each type to satisfy DOT qualification requirements. (I think in those days it was still DOT, not MOT) Also, as I recall, CPAir bought 4 aircraft and leased another 1 or 2 from Monarch for part of the year.

They were great aircraft to fly, but unfortunately we didn't have them all that long.

As I recall, we referred to the "Pegasus" airline wiithin-an-airline concept as "Shetzen's experiment."

Henry

"Shetzen's experiment."
Boy he really got around. I did not realise he worked for CP (?) as well as AC. I remember him giving a presentation at a Flt Ops road show. He was like a Whirling Dervish at the podium. It was exhausting to listen to him, man of many talents I guess.

Archived